Something Radioactive Washed Up On Beach

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
I was watching CNN last night (Sunday) and news scrolled across the bottom of the screen saying that something radioactive had washed up on a beach in Georgia. Did anyone else see it? I can't find anything on it today. I believe it said the Guard or someone was called in to remove it and determine what it was. That made me think it was something alive or that was alive, not like warhead or something.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,140 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Thok

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:34 pm
Do you mean this : Beach 'needs nuclear clean-up' ?

But this is in the UK.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:45 pm
No, it was breaking news about a beach in Georgia (US).
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:51 pm
Nothing.

Neither on the web nor actually at CNN.com.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
Saw something about bombs dropping in the Oceola State Forest in Florida, but that was the closest thing that I could find! Confused

http://www.local6.com/news/3632067/detail.html?subid=22100428&qs=1&bp=t
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:58 pm
Hmmm. It ran across at about midnight. I waited for it to scroll again, which it did about thirty minutes later. Maybe it was made hush hush?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:03 pm
Hmmm, medical waste?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:07 pm
Missing H-Bomb Possibly Located Off Georgia Coast
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
Not medical waste....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:48 pm
That must be what it was, Walter. The date, time and location are correct. Funny, the wording of the scrolled message made it sound like a mysterious monster from the deep.

From the article:

SAVANNAH, GA -- An Air Force spokesman says the organization is trying to verify the presence of a hydrogen bomb that may have fallen off the Georgia coast more than 45 years ago.

A group of bomb hunters said last month that they had identified a large underwater object off Tybee Beach that was emitting radioactivity....

Smolinksy said if the bomb is located, then the Air Force will determine whether or not it needs to be removed.

WHAT? Emitting radioactivity at a beach and not sure if it will be removed??? What about beach goers? Fishes? Dolphins? What will it do to them?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:52 pm
Not to mention a possible problem if someone who happens to have, what is it, a plutonium trigger visits the beach.
(Kidding, mostly, but not entirely, as I don't guess they'd leaving it just sitting there. Or would they..)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:06 pm
squinney wrote:

Smolinksy said if the bomb is located, then the Air Force will determine whether or not it needs to be removed.

Gee, seems to me that if it is emitting radioactivity it NEEDS to be removed. To where? I don't know. Would it go with the nuclear waste in Nevada? I wonder what happens to such a thing after 50 years in salt water.

Gawd. We humans can srew up so many things...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:19 pm
WASHED UP ON BEACH
we've visited tybee beach a couple of times from jekyll island when we were on spring vacation. really quite a beautiful beach, wonderfull sunsets ... hope it's not going to be destroyed or contaminated. hbgBEAUTIFULL TYBEE ISLAND
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
Gorgeous photo tour at that site, hamburger. If it is the suspected bomb, then it was there emitting radioactivity when you were vacationing. How Terrible!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:05 pm
squinney : now i know why mrs h wonders why i'm such a bright hubby ! really is a wonderful spot. we hope to go back somewhere along the golden coast next march - can't wait for some fresh seafood (crabcakes is one of my favourites). hbg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:51 pm
Missing? What an interesting way to discribe the occasional misplaced hydrogen bomb.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 07:56 am
Update:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050617/ap_on_re_us/offshore_nuke

Quote:
0 Replies