Faye Wray dead at 96

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:29 pm
Amazing, that woman. Guess she's the lady who started all the monkey business.

A salute to you, Ms. screamer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,272 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
Well, she did well in other roles, too. But I gather she realized she'd always be known for "Kong" and she seemed to accept that fate...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:33 pm
D'art, what other movies? I just caught that bit on CNN. Guess I could look it up, but don't want to do so at the moment.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
I sorry to hear this, I once met her, she was a fabulous lady.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:38 pm
Well, I must admit, after reviewing the NY Times obit, her other films don't seem too memorable. So perhaps "Kong" was her big break in terms of immortality!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:44 pm
How did she die? Not crushed by a giant ape, I hope. I've seen biographies of her and she did seem like a fantastic person who took their life and career in stride.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:45 pm
Acquiunk, Wow! That must have been something.

D'art, if I weren't so tired of researching, I'd look on the web right now.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
Well, Cav, at her age, I don't think she was done in. Natural causes? Funny, I had just watched KoKo, a beautiful gorilla, give his trainer a big hug.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
I was gonna post her filmography until I saw how long it was. She clearly was a hard-working actress!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0942039/
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
Letty, it was when I was an undergraduate in the 60's. The film department at the university I was at had a week long early film festival with panel discussion and speakers. She was one of the speakers and students from the film department, hangers on and wannabee's (me) got to meet her at a reception. She was very much playing the part of a "star" but we were all star struck, she was great.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
Ah, Acquiunk, What a treat that must have been. Were you ever an actor before you became an Egyptologist? I met Jessica Lang at a primitive but posh resort. This has been one of those weird days. Just finished a peanut butter and BANANA sandwich.

Gettin' ready to look at D'art's link.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:03 pm
My word, she was Canadian. I didn't realize how many movies she had made. Shocked

I remember the short story "The Most Dangerous Game." Great ending, that.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
RIP
Fay Wray

without e.

D'artagnan wrote:
But I gather she realized she'd always be known for "Kong" and she seemed to accept that fate...

exactly.

That's even her famous role.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:07 pm
Thok, had she been born in Ireland, we might have called her Fey Wray. Sorry for the error.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
update:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/fc?d=tmpl&cf=fc&in=entertainment&cat=fay_wray

".....nothing in her life became her like the leaving of it...." I guess.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:33 am
I believe Fay made a second movie using the same island on which Kong was filmed. I don't recall the male in the picture, but it was the story where a hunter wants to hunt another man, having killed all the other species. It is possible to relive King Kong by watching the scenery in this one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:36 am
edgar, was that film something about a white gorilla? King Kong lives sorta sticks in my memory
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:05 pm
It didn't have a gorilla. It was a man and Fay (I think) escaping from a hunter bent on killing them.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:09 pm
Maybe that's the one that D'art showed in his filmography link--"The Most Dangerous Game." I'll check it out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:37 pm
edgar, it was, indeed, The Most Dangerous Game--a perfect short story, but I'm certain the movie did little to improve it. (a mild understatement)
0 Replies