Medical Search Engine Without the Snake Oil

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:04 am
Love that tech column in my daily newspaper. For all you medical detectives, hypochondriacs, and suffering souls, I just read about a great search engine.

It is called:

http://www.omnimedicalsearch.com/

It is a meta-medical search engine. It only accesses information from trusted, reputable sites, and does not get involved with the commercial ones, which have their own ax to grind. The site itself is lean, and contains no ads.

There are a number of different options, from sites that cater to the average consumer, to sites that would be of interest to serious researchers.

It has an image function, a dictionary, and a medical acronym lookup.

I am going to have a ball with this one!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 961 • Replies: 12
No top replies

omnimedicalsearch

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:41 am
Phoenix, I caught this message through our traffic logs. Can you please tell me where this column appeared? I am always interested to see what journalists are writing about OmniMedicalSearch.com - Thanks.

For what it's worth: We will be launching another metasearch engine next month that only searches .gov, .edu, .org and ac.uk domains. I can't give out the domain name yet as we are still negotiating for it.

Kind Regards,

Jason Morrow
Founder
OmniMedicalSearch.com
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:00 am
The article was in today's Tampa Tribune, in the Business and Technology Section. It was written by Doug Stanley, a guy who writes about the internet and computing. Here's what he wrote:

Quote:
Good for What Ails you

There is a new tool available for sorting out the good from the bad medical information so plentiful on the Web.

OmniMedicalSearch.com is a metasearch engine that can simultaneously search 25 databases, including authoritative medical search engines, image libraries, and medical news.

Taking a cue from Google, OmniMedicalSearch offers a clean, uncluttered interface for faster search results.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:03 am
This is excellent news, Phoenix.

I'm gonna go see if they have any advice for me as to how to inflate my pancake testicle.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:06 am
Gus- Remember the famous line from Lauren Bacall? "You just put your lips together, and blow!" Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
You must think I'm a giraffe.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:14 am
Hmmm.......That DOES have possibilities! Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:18 am
If all men had giraffe necks, would there be a need for women?

Food for thought.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:36 am
Actually, this searchengine is quite some time mentioned in A2K's 'Portal' - and not so high rated, I admit :wink:

But it seems, A2K is a bit better than the Tampa Tribune :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:45 am
Walter- I had checked out "search engines" in the Portal before I posted it. I didn't realize that it would be in "health". (It would be good if the Portal had some cross postings, but I suppose that would be too big a job).

Anyhow, I LOVE the site, but I understand why some people might not like it. A lot of the information is too technical for the average reader. As you know, I like to delve deeply into medical stuff, so for me, it is just great! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:48 am
LOL - you posted this thread in "Medical News and Health" as well :wink:

When you use the A2K (portal) search engine, you should have found it, though (that's what I did, because I couldn't remember, if I really posted it).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:51 am
Stop pulling my tail, Walter. I was trying to be helpful, and it was early in the morning....................... Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
I'm looking forward to exploring.
0 Replies