Religious, historical or cultural preconceptions in the study of the universe.

toni77

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 05:31 pm
I hope someone can help point me in the right direction i am trying to complete an assignment but am struggling on the last question which is- Describe any religious, historical or cultural preconceptions that may have impeded progress in the study of the universe? I hope someone can direct me to a website that can help. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 671 • Replies: 2
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 05:36 pm
@toni77,
The easiest example I can think of is the idea of Geocentrism (the idea that the Earth is the center of the Solar System, and Universe). This had religious, historical and cultural roots and probably hindered the realization that the Sun was the center of the Solar System.

At an even deeper level the idea that the Universe has any three dimensional center at all is a preconception which is probably innate to the human thought process.
toni77

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:01 pm
@rosborne979,
Thankyou rosborne979 for the help.
0 Replies