Woody

Pitter

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:21 pm
I just learned that Woody Woodpecker in Colombian Spanish is "pajaro loco". This often happens when a direct translation isn't practical. The Flintstones translate a little closer as "Pica Piedras".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,308 • Replies: 23
No top replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:30 pm
I think the original name for the Smurfs was 'Schtroumpf'
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:26 am
I like the original name better.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
I wonder. Are there woodpeckers in Latin America?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 06:56 pm
Yes quite a few. They're called "carpinteros".
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:22 am
Some cartoon names in Spanish are great.

The Flintstones: Los Picapiedra

Pedro Picapiedra (Fred Flintstone)
Pablo Mármol (Barney Rubble)
Vilma Traca de Picapiedra (Wilma)
Piedradura (Bedrock)
They ride a troncomóvil through the piedriférico and read the piedriórico.

The Jetsons: Los Sónico.

Super Sónico, Ultra Sónica, Lucero Sónica, Cometín Sónico, the dog Astro, the maid Robotina.

Top Cat & his gang: Don Gato, Benito Bodoque, Cucho, Panza, Espanto & Demóstenes.

On the contrary, in Italy and Spain, they have the dumbest names (IMHO):

In Italian

Donald Duck: Paperino (Duckie)
Mickey Mouse: Topolino (Mousie)

Scrooge McDuck is Don Gilito in Spain (!!!!!)
(In Latin America he is Rico Mac Pato).

Huey, Dewey and Louie are Hugo, Paco y Luis in Latin America. In Spain they're Jorgito, Juanito y Jaimito (!!!!!)
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:36 am
I seem to remember seeing a Porky Pig cartoon on TV in Germany renamed something like "Schweinsun Dick"
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:38 am
And I love hearing the Spanish pronunciation of Popeye the Sailor:

po-pay-yay, el molinero
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 08:09 pm
bromeliad wrote:
I think the original name for the Smurfs was 'Schtroumpf'

The Smurfs are "die Schlümpfe" in German.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:08 am
Equus wrote:
I seem to remember seeing a Porky Pig cartoon on TV in Germany renamed something like "Schweinsun Dick"

Equus, that's Schweinchen Dick... the little pig called Dick... hmmm, whatever that's supposed to mean.

The Flintstones are called 'Familie Feuerstein'.

And Donald's nephews are Tick, Trick and Track :-)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:27 am
Equus wrote:
And I love hearing the Spanish pronunciation of Popeye the Sailor:

po-pay-yay, el molinero

It was a big disappointment when I found out that Popeye meant "pop-eye" in English. "Po-pay-yay" sounds great!

...but he's a sailor not a miller. Popeye el Marino.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:29 am
The smurfs were the creation of a Belgian cartoonist. In France, the liddlies are given comics which are completely grammatically correct, the authors have always prided themselves on that. The creator of the smurfs intentionally used nonsense language, which immediately became a big hit with francophone children. I do not recall, however, what the original name was in French, although i think it was simply smurf.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:52 am
Quote:
“The Smurfs” was created by Pierre Culliford (who incidentally is
credited under the single name "Peyo") way back in 1958 for the comic
strip serial in "Le Journal de Spirou" called "Johan & Pirlouit"
(translated to English as "Johan and Peewit"). Back then a “Smurf” was
originally known as a "Schtroumpf", but in the translation to English
the character became known as a (much easier to pronounce) “Smurf”.
They are, however, also known by a variety of other names depending on
the host country’s language, but that's our interpretation.

link

Quote:
The Smurfs were created by Belgian cartoonist Peyo (Pierre Culliford). In 1958, they made their first appearance, as supporting characters in Peyo's comic strip, Johan and Pirlouit. Soon after, they stepped out from behind the shadows of Johan and Pirlouit (also known as Peewee or Peewit) to become lead characters. Peyo wrote a book, The Flute and the Six Smurfs, that later became a film.

The first three Smurf figures appeared on the toy scene in 1965. Not exactly action figures, Smurf figures have exactly zero points of articulation. They are made of soft plastic and generally stand a little over two inches tall.

The Smurfs are popular across the globe. In the United States, the Smurfs gained a large following due to the Saturday morning cartoon bearing their name. The toy figures were also a big hit, continuing to sell well. In fact, the popularity of the figures helped spawn the cartoon. Plush toys were introduced, video games hit the stands, and you could even color and cook clear Smurfs with Shrinky-Dinks.

Figures with larger, or more complex, accessories were boxed, beginning in the late 1970s, and sold as Super Smurfs.

Long live the Smurfs!

References:
1. The Official Smurfs Website
2. Smurf History

link

Man, oh man, I used to lovelovelove the Smurfs. Used to host a Smurf watching party in my apartment in uni in the late 1970's.
0 Replies

danload

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 02:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
The smurfs were the creation of a Belgian cartoonist. In France, the liddlies are given comics which are completely grammatically correct, the authors have always prided themselves on that. The creator of the smurfs intentionally used nonsense language, which immediately became a big hit with francophone children. I do not recall, however, what the original name was in French, although i think it was simply smurf.

In French smurfs are named :
"schtroumf" (male)
"schtroumfette" (female)
Speaking "schtroumf" consist in replacing all the names and verbs with the word "schtroumf".

If you want to schtroumf, you'd better schtroumf first and then schtroumf (while schtroumfing might be better sometimes).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:02 pm
I'll never forget watching TV in Madrid and hearing:"Hola Mannix que tal?"
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:42 am
I get the feeling we Dutchies went the easy way and use all the English translations of cartoon figures - Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Porky Pig, the Flinstones, Smurf, Popeye (...)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
I had heard that there Lord of the Rings characters had strange names in a German version of the books, but I don't speak German (yet) so I'm not sure what they were. I think the "Shire" was translated as something pretty un-Shire-like, and "Strider" became "big-stepper".
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 02:06 pm
Why don't my posts show up in the forum?
0 Replies

luukas

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 04:43 am
In Italy the smurfs are known as puffi.
"The smurfs collect berries in the forest" would sound in Italian "i puffi puffano le puffbacche nella foresta".

Donald Duck is Paperino, Mickey Mouse is Topolino. Uncle Scrooge is known as Zio Paperone, Daisy is Paperina, etc.
Popeye's Italian name is Braccio di Ferro (iron arm).

Tolkien's Rivendell is Gran Burrone, the Shire of course is "la contea" or Hobbiton is "Hobbiville"...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 08:56 am
rufio wrote:
Why don't my posts show up in the forum?

That's a rather Zen-like puzzle.
0 Replies