Braces and all orthodontic stuff

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:09 pm
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Parenting to Medical News

I didnt know what category to put this in so i thought this would be the best as there are probably parents and people that post here that know about all the orthodontic details...

When i was in highschool i had braces, but i was a brat of a child and never wore my retainer so my teeth have gone all crooked again. Now its ten year laters, and i have learnt from my mistakes and want to try straightening my teeth again so i have a few questions

1) what is the price range for braces? i will probably have to pay this myself as my health insurance fund has already covered me once for this treatment and I have probably exceeded the lifetime cover limit.

2) does any one have any experiences with braces that go on the inside of your teeth? i have heard about this but am a bit dubious of this approach

3) how long would i be looking at wearing braces for?

Thanks for your help. I am going to see my dentist and speak to him but i just want some more information from real people regarding this...

Thanks everyone
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,232 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:52 am
No one here is going to have any idea of how long you'd have braces, since we (a) can't see your teeth, (b) can't take x-rays and (c) I doubt that anyone here is an orthodontist and, even if someone is, any professional will tell you that they can give you no real information unless you get a consultation.

As for the price range, similar rules apply - prices are going to vary based upon the severity of the problem, where you live, your doctor's experience and reputation, etc.

Personally, I've never had braces on the inside of my teeth, only the outside (I had mine from '76 - '79). One thing, though, the "lighter" type of braces, such as invisiline, will probably take longer to do their work than the old-fashioned kind, because they aren't pulling your teeth with as much force.

My advice to you is twofold:
(1) Contact your insurance company and see if they will cover you, even if you think they won't. Let them make that determination, as you might be surprised. They might partly cover you or cover enough for you to at least go through your deductible or they might cover x-rays. It's worth a phone call. And,
(2) Go to the phone book and find out which orthodontists will give a free or inexpensive initial consultation. And shop around! Prices will probably vary. Also, go to Google and look up the orthodontists you are checking out; you want to make sure that they don't have pending disciplinary actions against them.
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
Thanks jespah

I am getting a referral from myu dentist next week to an orthodontist

i just thought i may have a clearer idea of what it may be like for me, but iguess its one of things...

thanks for your help though
0 Replies