What communities would you start?

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:36 pm
When the new site launches it will have a starting set of communities, which can be about any subject or about a specific way of doing things (e.g. it could be a "word games" community or it could be a general "all things go" community etc).

Just about any subject that is covered here is fair game, there will eventually be communities about everything under the sun.

I am going to make a lot of my own, but am wondering what others here would like to see, and if they have any plans to make any themselves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 33 • Views: 8,024 • Replies: 123

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Latin translations, pet care/pet appreciation, relationships, writing ....

Not that I can do Latin translations, but I absolutely see the need for them.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:40 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, we need to get George to run that one!
djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:42 pm
In a perfect world I would start a community called able2know, the 2 would actually be a stylized question mark, it would be just like this forum, and anyone suggesting it have a super ignore feature or threaded replies would not only be banned, they might be shot into the sun from a cannon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:47 pm
I am interested in authors. There are going to be a number of those by different individuals, I am sure.

I have been using and experimenting with alternative medical treatments for twenty three years. I have only delved into that for brief spells, here, because there is a lot of antagonism to wade through, as the site is now. I definitely want that. I want to invite successful people from alternative schools of thought to submit their best ideas, but not try to sell products. There would be a special emphasis on spotting frauds.

Somebody else can start the sports communities, as they are more knowledgeable.

Music. I envision a number of those by me as well as others.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:49 pm
I would like to start one that eventually lists every western breakfast known to man.

Or Morris Dancing.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
allthebreakfasts.madlabs.com?
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Nice.

Or cool beans in this instance.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Here are some I would like to see or start:

Word Games (wordgames.madlabs.com), mainly because some people like em and some people hate them, this way they can thrive with the folks who like them but those who don't can always not subscribe to this community.

Politics (politics.madlabs.com), it is a big enough a part of a2k that it deserves its own community (which would coincidentally allow a2k to be less political and more general).

News (news.madlabs.com), just for links to news as it breaks.

ConflictingViews (ConflictingViews.com), an old forum that merged into a2k, restored to be focused on debate.

Philosophy Forum (philosophyforum.com), this group will be restored to its original domain and revived as the main community for philosophy.

Water Cooler (watercooler.madlabs.com), for general chat. Not restricted to any particular subject etc.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:57 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I'm the bad mad woman that tagged all those threads so you, Lordy, can find them again.

I apologize for that now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:57 pm
word games

cool news from the social sciences - archaeology, sociology, psychology

something around geography/geology/geocaching
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:00 pm
Humour, of course.

Humor would also be acceptable.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:05 pm
trying to think of what would bring in posters like Endymion
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:05 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I am going to start one on Waggery.com.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
COMMUNITIES based on Pizza, cheeseburgers, movies, and perhaps Asian carps.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Don't forget Pron.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:11 pm
@Lordyaswas,
But it has to be tasteful pron. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have no faith in myself for organizing and keeping up with a community, but there are a lot of subjects I'm interested in and would likely try to add stuff to.

Books, and as Edgarb and I talked about on another thread, that could break down into a mass of individual categories.

Travel. I remember some great travel stories here from some years ago, and I think at least some people may still write travel diaries. There are also possibilities for travel information, general advice stuff (not spam promotion).

About food: this could span from matters about the pros and cons re agriculture now around the world to how to make popovers, so, again many possible sections or communities.

Poetry - not a main interest of my own but I always read JJorge and others, and there is probably a population out there that likes it a lot.

That's enough for now. More ideas piling up.

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
EZ-over.com Communities that Id be interested in

EVO_DEVO

Art techniques (sorta like pinterest bu more interactive than mere recitation)

gardening for eats

Wooden Boats

Id participate in a geology/rocks and nature community but I wouldnt volunteer to run it because I get pissed at kids wanting their homework done when they are sitting on one of the greatest open resources ever known.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2016 04:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
You know, I had thought that you would be good with a movies one!