Does the story sound like native English speaker's?

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
College graduate selling his talents for $1.2 million

Yesterday, Mr Xiong, a college graduate, stood in front of the doors of the Chinese Military Museum, selling his talents for a life-time wage of $1.2 million. He said: "I want to sell myself in this way to get a job that is more suitable for me."

Mr. Xiong told reporters he graduated from Huabei Institute of Technology in 2002, with a major in industrial automatization. After graduating, he tried several jobs unrelated to his major, and at the time being, he is a physics teacher in a private school.

"I want to find a suitable job, and realize my potential." Mr. Xiong said that he has tried going to employment markets and job fairs but was unable to find suitable employment because employees, and not the management, with whom he would rather speak face-to-face, represent the companies at those markets and fairs.

Thus, he chose to sell his talents for $1.2 million.

"I offer that price after careful consideration," said Mr.Xiong. He feels he could realize his potential if he gets the opportunity.

"There are already more than 20 CEOs from different companies who have given their business cards to me."

Mr. Xiong said that in this way he deemed he will get a job in no time at all.

Ms. Lee, who was passing by, said "The concept is questionable if you think you can be a white collar when you've just graduated from college."

Chen Fangping, director of the academic commission of the Central Education Science Research Institute of China, said that at present college students thinking along the same lines as Mr Xiong should change their concept of employment. Their expectations for future jobs shouldn't be too high, or else they will be facing the same problems as Mr Xiong in trying to find a job in which they can realize their full potential. In reality, however, working your way up the ladder is more practical.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 563 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fortune

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:14 pm
The only thing I can spot that I would change is, "could realize his potential if he gets the opportunity". I would have it read, "could realize his potential if he were to get the opportunity".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 07:02 pm
The style works well with the subject matter. Your narrative has an oriental flavor, but this adds to the atmosphere rather than subtracting from the story.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:15 pm
Fortune and Noddy, Thanksfor comments. Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:39 am
I found the story really interesting, Oristar, and found nothing that needed to be amended (apart from the subjunctive that Fortune mentioned.)

0 Replies