Punctuation help!

J15U4

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 10:40 pm
Hello, I'm new here, so sorry if I don't follow proper protocol. I've got a grammar question. For a work project, I've got to give a little write up on myself including 3 words that describe myself. Please see below and let me know if it's punctuated correctly.

"5) Wow, I never realized how tough it is to pick 3 words to describe yourself! With my wife’s help, I came up with: Steady, I’m very even keel and pretty hard to rile up; Challenging, I’m definitely the type to challenge the status quo (hopefully always in a respectful manner) and try to find better ways of doing things; and Fun, I love to have a good time with friends and family…hopefully over a pizza!"

I think I'm using semi-colons correctly, but not 100% sure. Thanks for any input anyone can offer!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 605 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 11:11 pm
@J15U4,
Is part of the assignment to use particular types of punctuation ?
J15U4

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 11:51 pm
@ehBeth,
No, I just want to use the proper punctuation.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 12:02 am
@J15U4,
Steady, challenging, and fun should be lowercase. Instead of a capital letter, try italic to make the words stand out.

Although this isn't a punctuation issue, I think it's worth thinking about. A word that describes me: challenging. This suggests that dealing with you is challenging. You mean that you are a person who likes a challenge.

Your semicolon usage is fine.

J15U4

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 01:09 am
@Roberta,
Thanks!
FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:48 am
@J15U4,
Another tip: In formal writing, spell out numbers that have only one or two syllables. Not "3," but "three."
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:22 pm
@J15U4,
J1, the Old School will insist "hopefully" used wrong both places. Tes, can you help, as I lack the vocab for grammatical analysis
0 Replies