Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:19 pm
How to improve our skill abaout foreign language?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,158 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:21 pm
@Maliha Ismi,
why the repeat posts? Your first query has answers.
http://able2know.org/topic/307626-1
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:22 pm
@Maliha Ismi,
http://www.sk.com.br/sk-krash-english.html
Quote:

Language acquisition does not require extensive use of conscious grammatical rules, and does not require tedious drill.

Acquisition requires meaningful interaction in the target language - natural communication - in which speakers are concerned not with the form of their utterances but with the messages they are conveying and understanding.

The best methods are therefore those that supply 'comprehensible input' in low anxiety situations, containing messages that students really want to hear. These methods do not force early production in the second language, but allow students to produce when they are 'ready', recognizing that improvement comes from supplying communicative and comprehensible input, and not from forcing and correcting production.

In the real world, conversations with sympathetic native speakers who are willing to help the acquirer understand are very helpful.
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 12:29 am
@FBM,
I think it's difficult to master any languages in adult. What do yo think?
FBM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 01:03 am
@Maliha Ismi,
It's definitely difficult. The #1 factor is motivation. After that, opportunity. What's your native language, and which one are you going to learn?
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 01:18 am
@FBM,
Yeah I think so. But each people is different, all right?
I want to ask you a question. How to master vocabularies easily?
FBM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 01:36 am
@Maliha Ismi,
A lot depends on the relationship between your native language and the target language. For example, English and Spanish share a lot of very similar and related vocabulary. When I started learning Spanish, I started with the words most similar to English, then gradually expanded my focus on less familiar words.

Korean and English, however, have nothing in common except for "Konglish," which is not really Korean, not really English.

Some general tips:
Flash cards have been proven to be very effective.
Study phrases instead of single words whenever possible.
Study the vocabulary in a memorable context.
Short and frequent study periods are more effective than longer classes that are spaced out.
Keep a diary (in your native language, at first) of your study times and topics. Write down what you studied (topic) and how long you spent studying it. This will help the information get stored in long-term memory.
Whenever possible, use your ears to learn pronunciation, not your eyes.
Study material should be 80~90% easy. That is, mostly repetition of what you already know.
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 02:26 am
@FBM,
Ok. I know what you mean. Thanks a lot.
What different techniques do you have for learning vocabulary?
FBM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 02:36 am
@Maliha Ismi,
These days, when I find a new word that's useful, I write it down on my hand, on the skin between my thumb and index finger. Then, during the day when I use my hand, I read the word again and remember what it means. At the end of the day, I usually have 3~4 new words or phrases. In the beginning, though, I used flash cards a lot.
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 03:03 am
@FBM,
Oh, I think it's a good method, yeah.
Maybe it can be done by conversations. Simply talking with other people can help me to learn discover new words. As with reading, once I hear a new word, remember to jot it down so that I can study it later and then slowly add the new word to my vocabulary. Smile Right?
FBM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 03:18 am
@Maliha Ismi,
Yep. That sounds good to me. Best of luck! Smile
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 03:37 am
@FBM,
Yeah.. Smile
Is the classroom the best place to learn?Can a good teacher influence how well you enjoy learning a language?
What do you mean about that?
FBM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 04:35 am
@Maliha Ismi,
Most classrooms are not ideal places to learn a language, but it depends on the teacher. If s/he is good at applying language acquisition theories and approaches to the class activities, then they can be very effective, though. It's important to have enjoyable and meaningful communicative activities, rather than too much memorization and grammar focus. Too many teachers depend on obsolete approaches, though. Enjoyable and meaningful communicative activities help you learn implicitly, which sticks in long-term memory better than explicit teaching. That said, I learned a lot more Spanish by going to Mexico and Central America than I ever did in a classroom. I've also learned a lot more Korean outside of classrooms than in them. If you're in a position to immerse yourself in the target language environment, you'll do fine. You seem to have the motivation already.
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 05:41 am
@FBM,
Creating a positive learning environment in classroom will allow students to feel comfortable, safe and engaged something that all students deserve. In a classroom where values and roles remain constant and focus is placed on the positive aspects of learning, students will be more open to actively participating in class.
But, what is a negative classroom environment?
FBM

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 06:12 am
@Maliha Ismi,
A negative classroom environment is, in my opinion, any environment that prevents a student from performing at his/her best. Fear of ridicule or punishment, for example, or where the target language doesn't meet the Input Hypothesis. The learners should feel encouraged to explore, experiment and discover for themselves, rather than just copy the teacher's output.
Maliha Ismi

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2016 09:17 am
@FBM,
Yes, right! But it's positive classroom environment. Student can be more active in clasroom.
In addition, a negative classroom environment, maybe by punnishment, student can be fright and fright. So it makes student be fright to try using foreign language.
0 Replies