Never again...

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:17 pm
Yes folks, for the first time in my working life I am blacklisting a client. Mad The horror....the horror....cheap, petty, mean-spirited bastards..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,487 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:19 pm
When I was in remodelling I had to purge my list of customers. Many just wanted to waste my time and never gave me jobs that paid.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:23 pm
Tell us, Cav!!!

I have been a waiter - the horror stories are worth sharing...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:24 pm
good for you cav, you don't need that crap--
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:27 pm
Re: Never again...
cavfancier wrote:
Yes folks, for the first time in my working life I am blacklisting a client. Mad The horror....the horror....cheap, petty, mean-spirited bastards..

Details, details, please! :wink:
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:41 pm
Yes, do tell!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:48 pm
Cav--

Is this a prelude to renouncing your career as a chef and starting a new avocation as storyteller or torturer?

Details please. Perhaps you should return to the kitche--with a select client list, of course.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:43 pm
Waiting on the sidelines with the others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 09:08 pm
was today the kiddie party?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:57 am
Yes, this was the kiddie party. The whole thing really started when I only got booked, and got paid, a week ago, and had to scramble to get everything for them, including a tent, sno-cones, bartenders, staff, BBQs, cotton candy, sundae stations, and all the food. Not an easy task to do in a week, especially after a long weekend. Hey, it's part of my job. However, as I was doing my rounds, I discovered from one of the tent suppliers that he had thoroughly pissed off the other caterer he was considering by trying to set up back-door deals from their supply people to try to get a cheaper price. Hence, he is now persona non grata at half the supply places in Toronto. I did finally find people willing to do the job, but here are the comments I heard: "Be very careful with this guy," "Make sure the cheque clears," "The only reason we're agreeing to do this at all is because you're an easy person to deal with, and carry respect in the industry." Rolling Eyes What a nightmare, just from the start...

We had a late delivery, so we were running late getting there. I'll grant them that. However, all the staff were there, and had set up everything. Once we arrived, although it was hectic, we got everything done, and got everyone fed on time. Here are some highlights: Despite repeated efforts to feed the hosts, they refused, then got pissed off hours later when their greedy guests had finished all the burgers and chicken. There were at least 20-30 extra guests than what was planned for. Their own staff, 2 crotchety Russian women, loaded up huge plates of food for themselves BEFORE THE GUESTS HAD BEEN SERVED!! However, it was of course the incopmetence of my staff who were to blame. My staff worked like dogs, but were still berated and accused of "standing around doing nothing." They got short-changed on the pay, and he tried to weasle out of paying in full for our friend who dressed up as cookie monster. The wife told my friend "I made a deal with you that you were going to bring books, and have a choregraphed act." He's like lady, I've never spoken to you in my life. We had talked about having him READ, if possible in the chaos, but nothing was ever mentioned about books, or an 'act'. The ice cream fiasco: He mentioned to me that his freezer wasn't very large. I told him that's okay, I'm sure we can find room for it. This translated into "Paul promised us he'd bring us a freezer," a flat-out lie. They bitched about everything, and went so far as to say they didn't think they got good value for their money. Did I mention that I dropped my price for them, only charged half-price for the kids, and incurred out-of-pocket expenses that I didn't bother to mention, because what would have been the point? Meanwhile, we heard nothing but good things from the GUESTS, who couldn't stop raving about the food, and how over-the-top the party was. It seems that the happiness of the invited folks wasn't all that important to them. I know that even if they were able to get all these other things they wanted, they still would have complained. Anyway, he pissed off all my staff, everyone felt like a tequila IV at the end of the day, so that's it. I will never work with him again, not that I think they will be calling. Wink Good riddance. There was more crap, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:11 am
Yep, that sounds like the client from hell, alright! Evil or Very Mad

Hopefully not a description of a typical day's work, Cav! Shocked Wow, you certainly work hard!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:14 am
No, msolga, most of my clients are dreams, and highly appreciative. I should also mention, I nearly broke my frigging ankle in their backyard. They have no grass, just a dirt pit, and he told me that he had had the ground levelled for the tent. Erm, another lie. That tent and the flooring shook and trembled like crazy, and I was left limping for the entire day, not exactly how I want to look as a professional. Rolling Eyes I should sue him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:22 am
Yeah, you should sue him!

The whole episode sounds something like a bizarre catering Fawlty Towers farce! Razz I'm sure you'll always remember it!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:25 am
Yeah, it is a story for the ages. Mrs. cav and I are thinking about inviting all the staff out for a beer and a bite to eat. Most of them I had never worked with, but they came highly reccommended, and were all up to the job.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:27 am
Best exchange of the day:

Bartender to Mrs. cav: "Do you smoke?"
Mrs. cav: "Sometimes, but I don't have any. Cookie monster smokes, you can ask him for one."
Bartender: "Cookie monster says his smokes are in your car."
Too funny....he got a smoke. One 4-minute break for the day, but of course, they were just "standing around doing nothing." Poor guys...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 07:05 am
Your former employers probably are congratulating themselves on their clever business practices...and will do so until next year.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:18 am
Well Noddy, it's most likely they're bad-mouthing us to their friends and relatives. That's just the sort of people they are. If they do call next year, they can deal with someone else. I mentioned the blacklisting of the guy from the supply places, but the other caterer has blacklisted him as well. If he tries them next year, he'll have a surprise on his hands.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
Damn Cav, what a nightmare!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:59 am
Well, at least today it's funny, and the rent is paid. Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:13 am
That's always nice. Phew!!! Thank god that's over.
0 Replies