Your Top 5 Travel Destinations

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:15 am
eoe, Quebec is a very good alternative to actually traveling to Europe. It has the feel of Europe, but it's actually only a few miles north of the border. The Med cruise is very good; don't miss Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Ephesus, Istanbul, and Athens. All the other islands are good too, but the ones I listed should be on your don't miss list. c.i.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:18 pm
Thanks c.i.!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:30 pm
Italy
Australia
SW USA
Iceland (not right now though - brrr)
southern S America
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:41 pm
littlek, Italy like Spain has many different ambiance, most of which are tourist friendly. I've not visited any place south of Rome, but have visited Venice several times. Venice, unfortunately, is in the throes of drowning, and gets flooded every year. I think the Italian government is considering the building of some barrier to protect it. If you go to Italy, do not miss Venice. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:43 pm
Funny, I listed Tuscany first, but next to the whole of australia it looked to small..... And, I think I'd like to visit more than just Tuscany. I'd like to see the northern mountains, some islands, the east shore, and points S of Rome. I'm really not that interested in the cities.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:26 pm
India
China
United Kingdom
France
Spain
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 02:26 pm
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
USA (East Coast)
Australia
Unfortunately, I have never been in any of these places...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 02:53 pm
5) The Barn and Outbuilings
4) The Paddock
3) The Office/Computer Corner
2) My Recliner in front of The Big TV with The Sound System cranked to "Structural Damage"

And ..... Oh, migawd ... It's a Tie!

In Number one, The Kitchen (Food and Drink) and The Bedroom (Decent TV/Sound/Computer) share first place!

I've done a lot of traveling, pleasure and business (have you ever had to check the phonebook on the nightstand to make sure you were in the town you hoped you were ... stone-cold-sober all the while?) ... haven't been everywhere, haven't even been everywhere I might like to have been. Been a few places I'd rather not have been, too. Now, I'm pretty comfortable with where I am. When the urge hits, there's a major airport a couple hours or so away. But any more, I mostly like places I can walk to.

timber
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 04:01 pm
timber, Thank god, I wasn't imaginng things by myself. I thought I was the only one with that secret - not knowing which town I was in without looking at the phone book! "That" nightmare has been with me for over thirty years, when I had to hop on an airplane once or twice every week. Whew! Wink LOL c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 11:34 pm
JD, It's interesting that you picked India as your #1 pick. There are many interesting things to see and do, but don't expect their infrastructure to be developed. Many of their roads are potted roads with no street lights. Airlines are not always dependable, and many places do not have "western" type toilets. But, if you are adventurous, it's a fantastic destination. The contrast between the rich and poor is everywhere, and most of the big cities are very crowded with humanity and cows. They have some of the most beautiful hotels, palaces, and shrines, and ofcoarse the Taj Mahal. That's what attracted me to India, and I haven't regretted one minute of my visit to their country. c.i.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:30 pm
1 The forests of northern California
2 The Canadian Rockies & British Columbia
3 Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but only from
a 2nd story room with a balcony on Bourbon
St.
4 The very very south of South America
5 The Yukon territory
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:34 pm
babs, Interesting to see that you chose "the very very south of South America. I was there last November, and sailed around Cape Horn, and visited the southernmost city of the world, Ushuaia. Wink It's beautiful down there - in their summer. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:35 pm
MEXICO!
Am I permitted to say, "Mexico, Mexico, Mexico, Mexico, and Mexico"? 'Though we've visited many countries throughout the world and various parts of Mexico numerous times - and even after having lived in Mexico for two years while we taught school - we are here, but our hearts are there! As we travel on our way home, we are planning our return. It's the people. "Feel the warmth of Mexico." Yes, many places were wonderful and we might like to return ... and to travel to others ... always Mexico beckons. [/size][/color]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:56 pm
I know exactly what you mean, Charli. Everybody is an "amigo" in Mexico, and they always smile. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 02:28 pm
MEXICO ENDORSEMENT!
Cicerone - Thank you! Now, we beg your indulgence for the following commentary. Yes, indeed the Mexicans are "muy amables y amistosos" (very kind and friendly), always smiling. Beyond the smile they are truly generous. However poor, they will share with you what little they have. For all that the Mexicans have a "macho" society, they respect females: The great love for their Mothers is legendary. The elderly, too, occupy a special place in their hearts. The phrase/meaning of "old folks homes" has small interpretation due to its near nonexistence. (Lesson 2, Book II, Interlingua.)

The only racial or ethnic discrimination in evidence that we have seen involves some Indian groups. This "dilemma" has been written about at length by famous Mexican writers - "La Raza Quinta" - ("The Fifth Race"): A majority of Mexicans claim some Indian blood. And, although thousands of groups have immigrated to Mexico, never did we hear the equivalent to: "He/she is an Italian American, Black American, Chinese American, etc." (Substitute the word Mexican for American.)

As for dissent, in Mexico City one can visit the Zócalo or the Alameda where many weeks of the year you'll see groups camped out for days at a time, "dissenting" against the Government without reprisal. Well over 50% of the workers are unionized. Maybe 80%. In the U.S., the number is less than 12%. Then, count the large number (28 to 30?) of "large" daily papers which print every variation of opinion.

Yes, we wish that we could spend more time in that country, but neither finances nor health permits it. Besides a few hundred dollars initial payment, "Foreigners" need to prove a minimum of $1500/month for permanent residency. As you know, there are problems in Mexico just as there are in the U.S. However, many pluses include the aforementioned. Happy travels! Charli Smile

P.S. Please don't believe the propaganda about the dangers of traveling to Mexico. Simply not true.
[/color]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 02:37 pm
Thank you, Charli. I have enjoyed my travels to Mexico, but my wife doesn't like any destination with the majority in proverty. The Mexicans in California is a good reflection of Mexico, because they are 'almost' the same with their generosity and respect for elders. c.i.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:50 pm
NO EASY ANSWERS
That's a tough one, Cicerone. Not only for Mexico, but for many places throughout the world. You have to develop an attitude. Hopefully, not one of callousness - rather one of, "We love you anyway, whatever your circumstances. We can't save the world; however, please know we're doing the best we can." With sophistication and guile at a minimum, folks read us loud and clear. Happy traveling! Charli Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 06:07 pm
Thanks Charli, I try to bring good will to all the destinations to which I travel. We must overcome the "ugly American" syndrome around the world, esepcially now, with our administration hell-bent in ruining our goodwill around the world. c.i.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:13 am
1. Alaska (to ski perfect powder snow)
2. New Zealand (to see my brother and the beautiful place - in summer!)
3. India (I've been before, but I love it so much and I've got friends there now)
4. French Polynesia (scuba diving with a certain woman)
5. Japan (I've heard so much about it but never been)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:20 am
1. Florida- got hooked the first time...
2. Sweden- Ma, I'm home!
3. Austria- The food, the scenery.
4. The Caribbean- I can't live without sun
5. New England- Europe in the states
0 Replies