Am I Correctly Punctuating these Quoted Questions?

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 01:05 am
The question has never been "What do you want to eat?", but rather "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?"
When I am asked the question of "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?", I respond, "One that will fill my belly."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 547 • Replies: 5
No top replies

FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 01:20 am
@Aarsan85,
Try this:

The question has never been, "What do you want to eat?" but rather, "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?"
When I am asked the question, "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?" I respond, "One that will fill my belly."

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-punctuate-quotations-with-question-marks.html
Aarsan85

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 01:44 am
@FBM,
When I treat the quotations as nouns (The question has never been, X but rather, X) are my commas placed correctly?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 02:23 am
@FBM,
Ah, right. There are no speaker tags, so the commas aren't necessary. Here's the revision:

The question has never been "What do you want to eat?" but rather "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?"
When I am asked the question "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?" I respond, "One that will fill my belly."

Aarsan85

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 04:04 am
@FBM,
When I am asked the question "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?" I respond, "One that will fill my belly."

Wouldn't I need a comma after ("What type of Indian food do you want to eat?") because (When I am asked the question "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?") is a dependent clause and (I respond, "One that will fill my belly.") is an independent clause, correct?

When I am asked the question "What type of Indian food do you want to eat?", I respond, "One that will fill my belly."
^ Is this incorrect?
FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 05:36 am
@Aarsan85,
No, commas aren't used after either single or double quotations, and only inside them if there is no other obligatory, sentence-final punctuation, such as a question mark or exclamation point. See these examples:

“How can you eat a tuna sandwich while hoisting a piano?” Betsy asked as she eyed his lunch.

“May I have a bite?” she queried.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-punctuate-quotations-with-question-marks.html
0 Replies