What will your reaction be if you are suspended?

farmerman

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 06:32 am
@Olivier5,
Frank got at least 2 "time-outs" in the past.
JPB

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 07:45 am
@farmerman,
He's also taken breaks on his own before. I'll add that he was the main reason my attempt to return to any of the discussion threads here resulted in my own self-imposed suspension. It just wasn't worth wading through the pissing matches of a bunch of last-worders. He isn't/wasn't the only one, but his posts reinforced my feeling of life without A2K being better than life with it.

Where's JTT, btw?
Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 07:55 am
I think Frank's delicately constructed psyche imploded. He ate up five or so pages taunting me and others to "say the word" to get rid of him.

The discussion he was having with Craven several pages back was eye-opening. Craven tells him people have actually left because of Frank, and Frank argues him down, saying those people didn't actually leave because of him and supports that with some ridiculously tortured, narcissistic double-talk reserved for someone who doesn't have both feet firmly planted in reality.

I think he is actually of the opinion that his superior intellectual wrangling has just left us all agog with wonder and frustration when the truth is he had reduced to repeating the same tired statements filled with nasty personal attacks. It's not that we :can't : respond in kind, but for me, I just really don't want that type of conversation to mar my life anymore. I have heartfelt differences of opinions with many members, but I don't dislike the :people: unless they move from the opinion to me. Unfortunately, this happens a lot. Thankfully, though, some people do respond to requests to stay on the topic and avoid devolving into some schoolyard name-calling fight.

I am so appreciative.

A guy who won't go away when you ask him, who won't change the attack nature when you ask him, who has cronies quoting his insults and accusations though you've ignored him, thwarts the ignore feature -at least for me. It changes the nature of your interaction against your will. You either allow someone to say all manner of personally insulted shite about you unanswered, or you get down and dirty to defend yourself - and hate that you've been dragged down into behavior you find distasteful. It IS enough to make you leave. I can't imagine how daunting the place is for newbys wandering in and surveying that level and mass of carnage. what new person wants to walk into that?

I think Timur and I were the only two that took Frank up on his bizarre offer, although I guess he could have received PMs.

I know he's taken lengthy self-imposed breaks and been suspended previously, so this isn't new except for his very public taunting and the corner he painted himself into. My guess is that Craven gave him a time out to save him from himself on that thread, and Frank may have extended it.

I feel confident that he and Izzy will return.

I consider Izzy much meaner than Frank. Izzy enjoyed intentionally misrepresenting what people in disagreement posted and blaring it out frequently across several threads for kicks. A particular unfavorite of mine.

So, another tired warrior heard from. I'll acknowledge this posting makes me a temporary hypocrite since I'm discussing a member personally. I won't make a habit of it.

Still, Thank god and Greyhound.

JPB

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 08:05 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Craven tells him people have actually left because of Frank, and Frank argues him down, saying those people didn't actually leave because of him and supports that with some ridiculously tortured, narcissistic double-talk

Interesting. I (fortunately) missed all of this. Apparently I wasn't the only one then, because I never said anything to Robert or Jes about my disappearance.
layman

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 08:11 am
@Lash,
Quote:
It's not that we :can't : respond in kind, but for me, I just really don't want that type of conversation to mar my life anymore... It IS enough to make you leave. I can't imagine how daunting the place is for newbys wandering in and surveying that level and mass of carnage. what new person wants to walk into that?

Well, Darlin, ya know, if ya look at it the right way, these blowhards are quite amusing and just part of the entertainment this place provides. Nothing to really "fight" about, just laugh.

There is no need to, nor is it desirable to, deny their allegations. For me, it suffices to point out how ridiculous they look by even making them. It's just nothing to take seriously, as I see it.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 08:19 am
@JPB,
There were several others. My post following yours was a coincidence. I didn't know the reason for your absence.

Glad you're back.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:05 am
I think that Frank and Timur should not have been banned, merely restricted to the "Last Word" thread, and then charged one dollar each for every page they wanted to use.
Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
King Solomon. You are elected.
Lordyaswas

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:11 am
@Lash,
Very Happy

<thinks>.......

Ooh.....I could introduce spanking......
Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
You know...

Several of the ladies and I have been :quite: naughty. We fought like cats in the shower and now have nothing to occupy our time.

Just sayin...
BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:59 am
@Lash,
Quote:
We fought like cats in the shower and now have nothing to occupy our time.

Web cam URL?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:59 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Any banning will be seen, at least by some, as arbitrary. The perception of "selective enforcement" will always be present. There will be plenty of other non-banned members who some see as having done just as bad, or worse.

I think you're right. I don't think there will be widespread suspensions (it doesn't seem like there has been thus far) but if it drives away the few real trouble-makers, and keeps everyone else a little more mindful of their behavior it will be a good thing.

Quote:
You can pass a law saying that everyone must wear shoes in public, but if it's only enforced against blacks or "undesirables" it just becomes a tool for abuse. On the other hand, you can't ban EVERYBODY, so what to ya do?

You make a good faith effort to be objective and consistent. You don't worry about the whining of those who are suspended. If you blow it and the perception throughout the forum is that enforcement is selective and biased you will lose users. Something had to be done though.

Quote:
If you want to turn it into a social club where people mainly just ask "How are you today?," you can do that. Just a place to be friendly and make small talk about the weather, ya know? That might well be more profitable, I don't know.

I don't think the choice is brutish chaos vs saccharine, plastic drawing room. There can be spirited debated without bullying and vulgar slurs. I have no intention of leaving my sarcasm at the door when I enter A2K, and I doubt anyone would ever be suspended for vilifying an idea rather than a person. In short, I don't think I will change too much. I do intend to endeavor to not get involved in street fights, but I expect that the people who find me annoying will not be changing their impression of me. If essentially holding course leads to a suspension, then I will be in a position to consider the question initially posed.

I'm not worrying about it because I don't expect that I will give cause for a suspension and because as much as I do enjoy participating, I'll be able to find a way to fill the time previously devoted to this forum. Maybe I'll start a blog.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 10:00 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
For some it probably will, but certainly not all. Orolloy has acknowledged his prior suspension, but, for him, there wasn't a self-imposed permanency.

Yes and Quehog will return too, if his present silence is the resukt of suspension... But Frank and Izzy have a bigger ego. Even Timur may find it hard to bite that bullet gracefully.

I don't necessarily disagree. I just hope frank doesn't allow his ego to self-impose permanency.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 10:20 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It changes the nature of your interaction against your will. You either allow someone to say all manner of personally insulted shite about you unanswered, or you get down and dirty to defend yourself - and hate that you've been dragged down into behavior you find distasteful. It IS enough to make you leave.

Well put. Your words resonate.

But...it can't really overwhelm your will, unless you let it. I'l be the first one to acknowledge that it can be extremely difficult to resist and when you consider the other person a POS, restraint will not be motivated by a desire not to hurt someone's feelings. It is the sour feeling of the aftermath that I need as motivation which is problematic because it obviously comes afterward and not during the heat of battle. In fact, when you really get down and dirty the bloodlust can rise up and keep you going, reinforcing the reasons you've constructed for why this POS needs a public thrashing, but wiping clear any recollection of the disappointment you felt towards yourself the last time you allowed yourself to lose control.

It's tough, but if the true trouble-makers are swept away or decide to leave there will be far less reason to find yourself in a position where your will, will be sorely tested. Then we will see if we are right or our detractors who insist that we are among the POS who start trouble are.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for A2K to be rid of all the true trouble-makers though. Maybe just the psychotic.

Quote:
So, another tired warrior heard from. I'll acknowledge this posting makes me a temporary hypocrite since I'm discussing a member personally. I won't make a habit of it.

Feels cathartic though; doesn't it?

I think I've been successful in not bad-mouthing anyone in this thread, but I've obviously discussed some. Again, as long as one's discussion of someone isn't purposefully negative, I don't think it's problematic. No one would likely object to a thread devoted to what a great person they are.

farmerman

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 04:02 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
It just wasn't worth wading through the pissing matches of a bunch of last-worders
WOW, isnt that the truth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 04:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm not holding my breath waiting for A2K to be rid of all the true trouble-makers though.

I suspect that there would never be agreement on who the true trouble-makers are. Even the ones who currently seem to be on enforced vacay have been debated - which is good - it would be no fun if everybody liked everybody all the time.

I do like the effect on the board right now, but I might miss one of them eventually if they chose not to return.

Perhaps.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree on all counts.
roger

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 09:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There are a couple I would never miss.

So there!
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 4 Jan, 2016 12:23 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

There are a couple I would never miss.

So there!

Me too, believe me, me too, but I only agreed with but I might miss one of them eventually if they chose not to return, not that I would miss all of them.

I certainly might miss someone who is suspended and doesn't return. I doubt you have anything to worry about, in terms of a suspension, but if, for some reason, you were banished and it caused you to remain away on a permanent basis, I would definitely find that regrettable.

I can't say I currently "miss" hawkeye or frank, (way too soon for that) but if they react to their suspensions (assuming frank was suspended) by never coming back, I'm pretty sure I will eventually miss them.

I believe Robert has been acting in good faith in discussing the changes, (including the suspensions) and in meting them out. Of course I am not aware of all of the suspensions imposed or of all the circumstances surrounding them, and I don't believe Robert can be convinced to share such information with us. I do have a minimal, yet nagging concern, that anyone who directly and repeatedly gives him grief may have a larger target on their back than anyone else, but, currently, there's no real evidence that this is actually the case.

In any case, not-with-standing my opinion of Robert's intentions, I haven't, for even a minute, supposed that the possibility of someone receiving an unwarranted suspension doesn't exist. For now, though, it's wait and see. I'm not losing any sleep over it in the meantime.
roger

Mon 4 Jan, 2016 12:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you.
0 Replies