What will your reaction be if you are suspended?

boomerang

Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks.

I know Hawkeye can be abrasive but I typically enjoy our conversations.

I guess I haven't been around enough to notice who is missing.
roger

Mon 28 Dec, 2015 04:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes, for using "fag" as a slur.

There are several other usual members who seem to be missing of late. Whether or not they have been suspended is anyone's guess.

Maybe he's British and called someone a cigarette.
farmerman

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:15 am
@roger,
If I got banished I would wonder alone in the desert and gird myself in skins and plunder and pillage the villages .

Or else I would help with the housework
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 06:40 am
I'd spend more time playing video games.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:24 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Thanks.

I know Hawkeye can be abrasive but I typically enjoy our conversations.

I guess I haven't been around enough to notice who is missing.

He does attract a swarm of hornets whenever he posts and while I used to get the impression that he enjoyed such attention, of late it seems it was wearing on him. Not to excuse his use of the slur, but when hornets are stinging you, your first reaction is usually to smack at them.

Clearly, no one is the ideal member here, and as you note, he can be abrasive, but he's brought a number of interesting threads to A2K.

For whatever reasons, Robert seems to really dislike him and has written that he might continue the suspension until the new format is ready, but, as I understand it, that won't be for some time, so it seems a bit extreme. His site; his rules.

For all I know, the suspension has been lifted and Hawkeye has decided not to return. If and when he does, I think we can expect commentary on his banishment.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There are several other usual members who seem to be missing of late. Whether or not they have been suspended is anyone's guess.

Maybe he's British and called someone a cigarette.

If he's British, I'm French, but I don't think he got an opportunity to appeal the suspension on the basis of unintended slang usage.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Kind of like the 29 who have viewed this thread and the 28 who haven't commented?

Yawn.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Better you were among the 28 if that's your contribution.
tsarstepan

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
So cute, that you think 28 views means 28 different people viewing the thread. It's probably mostly you looking at the thread, desperately waiting for a flame war reply 20+ times.

Are you that desperate for attention that you're checking the view numbers every hour since you posted this egotistical thread? Are you trying to set yourself up as some kind of a2k Christ martyr for the rest of the conservatives on this board?
ossobuco

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 08:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
There's a long time pattern of responses to looks ratio with the variations that some threads are more answered than others within that patterning, just the way the ball bounces.
I'm the one that thumbed the thread up immediately, both for the thread and then for the opening post. I didn't respond, not being in a talky mood. I looked a bit later and there you were scolding people.

On the matter of hawkeye, he's one of the people I had on semi-ignore. That is, if I see a user ignored (view) thing on, say, a cooking thread, I'll view, and I'd gladly talk with hawkeye, or anyone else, there. If I don't want to see mass of posts by a person of volatility on a variety of issues, I coast on by, in his case, having read him for years prior.

On the matter of being suspended, me, if I were suspended, I'd have a hard time. A2k is a part of my life I don't want to lose.
engineer

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Kind of like the 29 who have viewed this thread and the 28 who haven't commented?

Within a few minutes of putting up a post, webcrawlers from Google, Bing, et al will hit the page, adding to the hits numbers.
Lordyaswas

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:28 am
@ossobuco,
Instead of suspending you, Osso, I would recommend that Robert makes you cook and eat nothing but tasteless, bland, non Italian food for a week.

Farmerman could be banned from sailing.

Ebeth not allowed to go to Zumba classes.

Set banned from eating bacon.

Raggers could be made to go outside without his colander.

Me, teetotal for a week.

Ye gods, I'm frightening myself.
ossobuco

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
That'd be all right as I'm a mexican and new mexican food freak too..

real punishment would involve me having to eat raw sea urchins..
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Doing a fast check Hawkeye had 20 followers.

That's not very many.
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think that suspending folks will change the membership count by very much. What will change the number will be the membership fee. Many of those members, who post night and day have repeatedly said they could not afford the $35/year fee.

What will be and is already being affected is the variety/diversity of posts. Some members post/start at least 10 threads/day and their "group" seems to keep on saying the same thing, night and day, while marking each other up without even taking a toilet break.

Variety( and not strictly politics) is what keeps a site active and attractive to new members, while domination by a few select groups can and will bring a site down. One member supposedly posted on FB (?) that he/she wouldn't come back to A2K, if certain member(s) were not banned from A2K. As soon as one specific person ( or more) was banned, one of the complainers ( if not the sole complainer) re-appeared after a long vacation and has basically posted thread after thread and post after post since returning, the quality of which is highly debatable.

A few folks maybe banned, but far more will just read posts, never write anything ( why I don't know) and even more folks will return every 5-10 years to see if anything has changed.

What can be done to increase the variety of threads and incidentally, what else can be done to put some sort of limit on all the political baggage that's being posted on A2K and which is basically wasting space?

Miller

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Right! While the man, who's using the C-word in an attempt to degrade women was still here, yesterday. I'll have to wait to see if he gets banned.
Miller

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:39 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

If I were suspended, I would grab a new account with a different name and start all over again.

With the new A2K, you probably would not be able to that.
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

That wasn't the only reason. How about the Hawkeye's posts about degradation of women and his desire to slam( etc) the heads of women against stone walls ( as an example). And on, and on, and on.

But then, we have other males who love to use the C-word when degrading women or use the K-word when attempting to degrade Jewish individuals...etc
ehBeth

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:46 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Ebeth not allowed to go to Zumba classes.

Zumba?

http://orig06.deviantart.net/8085/f/2008/220/2/5/animation____slapping_by_sony_shock.gif

go wash your hands with soap
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:49 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Right! While the man, who's using the C-word in an attempt to degrade women was still here, yesterday. I'll have to wait to see if he gets banned.

Probably be a long wait, I'd be sure you have snacks.
0 Replies