What will your reaction be if you are suspended?

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

So cute, that you think 28 views means 28 different people viewing the thread. It's probably mostly you looking at the thread, desperately waiting for a flame war reply 20+ times.

Are you that desperate for attention that you're checking the view numbers every hour since you posted this egotistical thread? Are you trying to set yourself up as some kind of a2k Christ martyr for the rest of the conservatives on this board?

This is a spat I'm not going to get caught up in. Think what you like.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:29 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

There's a long time pattern of responses to looks ratio with the variations that some threads are more answered than others within that patterning, just the way the ball bounces.
I'm the one that thumbed the thread up immediately, both for the thread and then for the opening post. I didn't respond, not being in a talky mood. I looked a bit later and there you were scolding people.

I know, I was making a joke based upon what Bill wrote. Tsarspan didn't get it but thought it cute to reply with a "yawn"

On the matter of hawkeye, he's one of the people I had on semi-ignore. That is, if I see a user ignored (view) thing on, say, a cooking thread, I'll view, and I'd gladly talk with hawkeye, or anyone else, there. If I don't want to see mass of posts by a person of volatility on a variety of issues, I coast on by, in his case, having read him for years prior.

On the matter of being suspended, me, if I were suspended, I'd have a hard time. A2k is a part of my life I don't want to lose.

I don't think you have to worry about being suspended.

[/b]
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:30 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Kind of like the 29 who have viewed this thread and the 28 who haven't commented?

Within a few minutes of putting up a post, webcrawlers from Google, Bing, et al will hit the page, adding to the hits numbers.

It's amazing what power I have.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:32 pm
@Miller,
I don't either, but it does seem to have marginally improved the discourse here.

The only thing that will produce better threads are people interested in posting them: existing or new members.
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 01:37 pm
Oh goodie! Our resident TRIBE MASTER has alerted the members of his TRIBE to be careful.

They're being watched and their conduct is being noted. Wink
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 30 Dec, 2015 05:01 am
I think if I was suspended, I would try to take an honest look at my last post and see if I had pushed the envelope with the language, and then take a look around and see if others are being suspended for the same thing. If the answer is yes, then I would consider coming back.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Dec, 2015 08:27 am
@Blickers,
Sensible
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 30 Dec, 2015 02:18 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes, for using "fag" as a slur.

That wasn't the only reason. How about the Hawkeye's posts about degradation of women and his desire to slam( etc) the heads of women against stone walls ( as an example). And on, and on, and on.

But then, we have other males who love to use the C-word when degrading women or use the K-word when attempting to degrade Jewish individuals...etc

If my memory serves me correct, the "K" word was once directed to a non-Jew. I'm assuming it was pejorative to be thought of in that manner, when one is a non-Jew and would not like anyone to think otherwise. Or, it could be the start of a loving diminutive for the term "Jewish"? By the way, the "K" word supposedly originated in Ellis Island, when Jewish immigrants in the late 19th century couldn't sign their names, and would not make an "X" instead, since it was too much like a "cross." So, they were asked to make a circle instead. The circle being a "chicle" (gutteral "ch" like in the correct pronunciation of Chanukkah). So, the non-Jewish civil servants used that word to describe Jews, but with a "hard" "ch" (K sound). In effect, Jews were the people of the "circle." to the English speaking Americans.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Dec, 2015 09:38 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes, for using "fag" as a slur.

That wasn't the only reason. How about the Hawkeye's posts about degradation of women and his desire to slam( etc) the heads of women against stone walls ( as an example). And on, and on, and on.

But then, we have other males who love to use the C-word when degrading women or use the K-word when attempting to degrade Jewish individuals...etc

If my memory serves me correct, the "K" word was once directed to a non-Jew. I'm assuming it was pejorative to be thought of in that manner, when one is a non-Jew and would not like anyone to think otherwise. Or, it could be the start of a loving diminutive for the term "Jewish"? By the way, the "K" word supposedly originated in Ellis Island, when Jewish immigrants in the late 19th century couldn't sign their names, and would not make an "X" instead, since it was too much like a "cross." So, they were asked to make a circle instead. The circle being a "chicle" (gutteral "ch" like in the correct pronunciation of Chanukkah). So, the non-Jewish civil servants used that word to describe Jews, but with a "hard" "ch" (K sound). In effect, Jews were the people of the "circle." to the English speaking Americans.

I only know one person who uses the "C" word with some regularity and to be fair, he doesn't use it frequently and most often uses it to slur males. As vulgarity alone doesn't seem to be a cause for suspension, I don't see it's use applied to a male resulting in anyone disappearing. Now if it is used against a woman, that's probably a different story. (BTW, I haven't seen the person of whom I write for a while now and suspect he may have been banished)

I really haven't seen anyone call anyone a "kike" (and I am assuming here that this is the "K" word) There was a silly dust-up about layman using the term, but his use was not as a slur directed towards anyone, and was quite the opposite of anti-Semitism. I would think if someone called a member who was self-acknowledged as Jewish a "kike" (or even if the user clearly believed the member was Jewish) that would be grounds for suspension. Of course someone would have to report the abuse as the moderators are not monitoring every thread and every post.

Calling an acknowledged gentile a "kike" might warrant a suspension based on stupidity.
Roberta

Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:09 pm
If I was suspended, I'd be mightily pissed off. I would say many dirty words.

Several months back I read a post in which someone called someone else (not a Jew) a kike. It pissed me off.

I guess I'm easily pissed-offable.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:13 am
I suspended my pants this morning. Good thing, too. I have been outside, twice.
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:23 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Right! While the man, who's using the C-word in an attempt to degrade women was still here

but Clinton is her name, even if it is degrading to women
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:34 am
as for the suspension, if i was to be suspended a few feet over a pile of cushions i'd not be too upset, if however i was suspended any distance over a pile of glass shards i'd not be happy at all
layman

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:44 am
I used to think that suspension was some kinda bad thing. I remember back in grade school when the principal screamed at me: "Layboy, your ass is suspended!!" It sounded bad.

So I asked: "What does that mean?"

He said: "It means you can't come back. Not tomorrow, not the next day, not never!"

I said: "Really? Ya aint lyin? Well, OK, then!"

Later that day some Barney Fife-ass cop seen me at the pool hall. He said: "Aint you supposed to be in school?"

I said: "Hell, naw. They told me to go ahead and leave. Just ask em."

Within a few years, I was the 9-ball champ at the pool haul. Getting suspended was the best thing that ever happened to me, ya know?

djjd62

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 06:56 am
@layman,
while that form of suspension had it's appeals, i preferred getting away with what ever transgression would have led to such a result
layman

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:01 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
while that form of suspension had it's appeals, i preferred getting away with what ever transgression would have led to such a result

Yeah, I know what ya mean, eh? That way, you're on the inside, subverting their candy-ass rules. But, I had my ways just the same. When school was out, I would routinely bust in and take a big crap on some teacher's desk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've been thinking about this.

I think the first thing I'd do is look at the forum and see who is still there. Are there people I can only contact through A2k? Has the board still got personality or has it become stiff and formal?

If it was still a board I wanted to be part of, I'd chill and come back when my suspension time expired.

Would I change my posting style on my return? dunno. I guess it would depend on what exactly got my ass busted. If it was something that resulted from my temper, I'd likely try to chill (and probably start my return by putting whatever set me off on ignore).
Olivier5

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:23 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Olly, is that you?

Nope. Me still here, sorry.
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:31 am
@ehBeth,
I almost feel sorry for the posters who fear to be as nasty as they desire to be for fear of getting suspended as more and more of the extreme nasty posters had disappear one by one from this system in the last few weeks.

It must be almost physically painful for them to need to limit their nastiness.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 01:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Only recently has there been a hubub about suspensions, and I think by their notable absence we can all figure out who has suffered the cut.

I certainly hope they come back. Half my ignore list is gone!