How to politely request something?

Danqing

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:49 pm
Hello, it might be a stupid question, but I am an international student, and I always confused about how to politely make requests. I think the word "please" means polite, but when I say something like "please let me know if there is anything else I need to submit", one of my friends told me I shouldn't say in that way because it sounds like an order. I am really confused. People in my school won't get mad at me. They are super nice because they know English is not my native language, but I still hope I could be polite to them.

Is there any better way to politely request something? Which of the following sounds polite?

"If there is anything else I need to submit, please let me know."
"Let me know if there is anything else I need to submit, please."
"Could you please let me know if there is anything else I need to submit?"

Or, any other suggestions?

Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 983 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 01:39 pm
Do not listen to your friend. All of your suggested requests are polite. As you have correctly understood, the word 'please' signifies polite intent.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 02:24 pm
@Danqing,
Your original idea was good. Alternative 1 and 3 are good as well. Only alternative 2 seems a bit awkward.

Is the person who told you your original sentence was wrong a native English speaker?
0 Replies