uneven testicles..

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 11:50 pm
My friend has his testticles inequal or on is taller than the other when he stand.He has this case since he was born . Now he is 25.But he didn't really think of going to a doctor because he is ok and has a normal life.

what do you think this could cause to him? because he is fine and never complain from anything at all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,554 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:26 am
Doctor--quick
Your friend needs to see a doctor (a urologist) immediately! This is not something to ignore. An irregularity in a testicle may be a sign of testicular cancer.

Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in American men between the ages of 15 and 40.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00046
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:18 am
Debra is right. He should get this checked out as soon as possible, if only to rule out any serious problem. Testicular cancer, if caught early, is very treatable. He really needs to find out if this is the case.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:22 am
... and it doesn't always happen to older guys. I worked with a guy who was 27 and had it.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:25 am
with all respect, on the other hand, there is no need to make panic out of everything, because uneven testicles without any other symptoms are NOT sign of cancer! I know everybody just wants to help, but there really is no need to panic.

http://www.medem.com/MedLB/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZZMDBW8FC&sub_cat=15

Quote:
One Testicle Lower than the Other. Uneven testicles, although they may be embarrassing in the boys' locker room, are both normal and common.

and from Mayo link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=91B1CB36-2B25-4B93-8FB60CFCAC19B62D&dsection=2

Quote:
A lump or enlargement in either testicle
A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum
A dull ache in the abdomen or groin
A sudden collection of fluid in the scrotum
Pain or discomfort in a testicle or the scrotum
Enlargement or tenderness of the breasts
Unexplained fatigue or a general feeling of not being well

NOTE: You don't have to have all symptoms, and they can appear to be very mild.

So, no need to make your friend panic, IF!!! he doesn't have any other problems.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:42 am
Panic
MyOwnUsername wrote:
with all respect, on the other hand, there is no need to make panic out of everything, because uneven testicles without any other symptoms are NOT sign of cancer!

Panic is not recommended; however, prompt medical attention is recommended. Insist that your friend see a urologist ASAP.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:48 am
no, don't get me wrong, I know that you (as well as cav and jespah) have only best thoughts in mind. And, actually, there is nothing wrong if that guy simply checks himself. I am just saying that there is no site or doctor that mentions "uneven testicles" as possible cancer sign - it's actually pretty common thing and completely benign.

IF without any other problems of course - simply, testicles are often uneven. Especially since he says that it's the case from his birth.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:17 am
But why?
MyOwnUsername wrote:
no, don't get me wrong, I know that you (as well as cav and jespah) have only best thoughts in mind. And, actually, there is nothing wrong if that guy simply checks himself....

But why are the testicles uneven? Could it be because one of the testicles did not descend properly? That's a risk factor that should not be ignored. The guy should not rely on his own physical examination--he needs to be examined by a doctor.

The irregularity could be nothing, or it could be something. Better safe than sorry!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:25 am
Hm, these are tricky subjects to discuss. I believe odds are that your brother got cancer later and that irregularity itself wasn't cause (because it usually develops, well, maybe not rapidly fast, but also not for years and years and years without other symptoms and problems). I hope he is okay now - it sounds that he is!

But, better safe than sorry is certainly true.

One other thing to add with this topic: any lump should be seen immidiately. Well, that's actually same for any body part, but unlike all other body parts (even in breasts more then 80% of lumps are benign), vast majority of lumps in testicles is malignant.
0 Replies