Using the word "ensure". Please help me!!

Ema55

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 11:46 am
Hi, I'm Japanese woman studying English.
Thank you for dropping in at this page.
Can you please help me find out how the word "ensure" are used in the sentence below ?

"In order to creat a better image and attract more affluent clientele, dress codes were introduced to ensure staff maintained a professional appearance."

I don't understand the structure of this sentence.
Usually dooes "that" comes after "ensure " ? and it is abbreviated in this sentence? If so, I can understand. But many of my Japanese friends say that "that" doesn't come after "ensure" in this sentence. And they say "staff maintained a professional appearance." is itself an objective. But I don't think so, because who maintain a professional appearance? staff do!!
I think "ensure THAT staff maintained a professional appearance." is correct.
Am I wrong??
I need a comment from English native speakers and would appreciate your help.
Thank you very much in advance and sorry for my poor English. Thank you for reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,514 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 11:59 am
In a structure like this ... action a was done to ensure that objective b was reached ... the word 'that' is optional and may be included or omitted. To include 'that' is slightly more formal, and is more likely to be found in English as used outside the United States.

Quote:
And they say "staff maintained a professional appearance." is itself an objective. But I don't think so, because who maintain a professional appearance? staff do!!

Staff should maintain a professional appearance, but if there is a situation where some do not, then a dress code can help ensure [that] they do. Also staff may be unsure about what constitutes a 'professional appearance', and a dress code conveniently clarifies that.

Ema55

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 12:25 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you very much for your quick response! I really appreciate it.
I understand what you kindly point out.
Can I ask additional question please?
Most of my Japanese friends say "maintained professional appearance" is modifier for "staff" but I don't think so.
I think Staff is subject and maintained is verb and the subject and object are followed by the "that-clause". (that is omitted this case)
Am I correct??

Sorry for my poor English to explain.
0 Replies