what are the uses of ( I mean )?

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 11:22 pm
1) I want to know when we should use the term ( I mean ) before an after a pause( - )? and what does it mean ?

2) is it true that there is no difference between the singular and the plural tense of means?

3) if the term ( by no means ) means definately not , is the following sentence ( sense ) right to you :

Galileo was by no means the first person to use a telescope.

4) mean if followed by object+infinitive will mean like plan or intend:

I mean to find out what is going on.

where is the object that come after mean if we consider to find out the infinitive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 2
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:22 pm
Quote:
1) I want to know when we should use the term ( I mean ) before an after a pause( - )? and what does it mean ?

This is slang, similar to 'like'. It can be used before any statement and it doesn't really add any content, it is just often used in speech.

Quote:
2) is it true that there is no difference between the singular and the plural tense of means?

No, there is a difference. Use them like this:

I mean
You mean
We mean
They mean
She means
He means

Quote:
3) if the term ( by no means ) means definately not , is the following sentence ( sense ) right to you :

Galileo was by no means the first person to use a telescope.

"right" is not subjective (meaning that it is not a matter of opinion but a matter of fact), so you should say "do you think the following sentence is right?" or "does the following sentence look right to you?"

The sentence is correct EXCEPT that you forgot the rule I told you before...since you can remove "by no means" and the sentence is still valid, you need to put commas around it. Then it will be correct.

Quote:
4) mean, if followed by object+infinitive, will mean like plan or intend:

I mean to find out what is going on.

Well, the sentence is correct. To be honest, I am not sure about the technical wording of the grammar definition.

I think that perhaps "I" is the object and "find out what is going on" is the infinitive...

but I can't answer this one definitively
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:23 am
Do you know that some people use the phrase "you know" or "y'know" too much, inserting it as some kind of pause in a pattern of speech? That kind of pattern is possible with 'I mean". I know this since I do it sometimes myself. I can't remember when I first started; let me guess some time around the end of high school or beginning of college. I usually only do it when I am extremely tired: it seems to be some rather basic "stamped" set of words in my brain, I mean...

Really, in that kind of case, it is used almost as a comma made out of words.
0 Replies