Turk seize it all

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:29 pm
The context:
‘There’s Pa’son Maybold, too -- that’s all against me.’
‘What about he? She’s never been stuffing into thy innocent heart that he’s in love with her? Lord, the vanity o’ maidens!’
‘No, no. But he called, and she looked at him in such a way, and at me in such a way -- quite different the ways were, -- and as I was coming off there was he hanging up her birdcage. ’
‘Well, why shouldn’t the man hang up her birdcage? Turk seize it all, what’s that got to do wi’ it? Dick, that thou beest a white-lyvered chap I don’t say, but if thou beestn’t as mad as a cappel-faced bull let me smile no more.’

(1) Am I right to assume that there should be a comma between 'Turk' and 'seize'?
(2) what does the phrase 'seize it all' mean in this context?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 458 • Replies: 10
No top replies

FBM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:36 pm
@dunelmnae,
That's just an expression of exasperation, a mild invective. I've never seen it before, but that's because I'm not familiar with the dialect. Or maybe the author was coining a new phrase. It would be something like, "Damn it all, why...?" Or a milder version of, "God damn it all,..."
dunelmnae

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 12:01 am
@FBM,
Thank you so much, FMB! You've cleared up my question.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 02:04 am
@FBM,
Quote:
the author

Thomas Hardy; the extract is from "Under The Greenwood Tree" (1872).

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the dialect.

Rural "Wessex"/Southern English (187os). Since the fictional Mellstock is modelled on Hardy's actual birthplace, Stinsford in Dorset, we may possibly assume both that the dialect can be localised to there, and that is is accurate.

FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:11 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks for the info.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:58 am
@FBM,
The novel in question is frequently used as a set book in English literature courses; I suspect this is the present case. The OP will find many web resources including this one

http://pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/monkeynotes/pmGreenwood02.asp
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 04:17 am
I never much cared for Hardy's romance novels. I tried to read that one, but couldn't get through it.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 05:47 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I never much cared for Hardy's romance novels. I tried to read that one, but couldn't get through it.

I had to study Tess for an exam, it quite put me off Hardy. For Victorian reading pleasure I turn to Trollope, Dickens, and even Wells (and, yes, Kipling) before Hardy.

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 06:03 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Trollope bores me to tears. Harcy's "serious" fiction is worth the effort--Far from the Madding Crowd, Jude the Obscure, The Mayor of Casterbridge and The Return of the Native are good examples. But his "gothics," as romance novels then were know, were more successful in his lifetime. Tess is an example of a failed attempt on his part to blend "serious" fiction with the gothic. I could not read Greenwood, and although it had been many years, i should have known better when i recently attempted to read Desperate Measures and Two on a Tower. It is a common problem that writers are hailed in their own times for works which bore us today--cultures change, which means that literary tastes do, too. Dickens was brilliant in almost everything he wrote--but most students react as though it were a burden to read his works. Not everyone can write like Émile Zola, who was, in my never humble opinion, one of history's truly transcendent writers.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:26 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Dickens was brilliant in almost everything he wrote

I once watched a travel programme on French TV, which showed things to do when visiting various European capitals. For London they chose a Charles Dickens tour. Dickens, the commentator helpfully told the téléspectateurs, was "le Victor Hugo anglais".

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:30 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
That's cute.
0 Replies