a miniature cavern

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:35 pm
I came across a passage which reads, ‘"But still, look is a great deal,’"observed grandfather William absently, moving and balancing his head till the tip of grandfather James’s nose was exactly in a right line with William’s eye and the mouth of a miniature cavern he was discerning in the fire.'

What does 'a miniature cavern' mean in this context?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 521 • Replies: 9
No top replies

FBM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 07:59 pm
@dunelmnae,
That's a tough one. Can you provide more context?
dunelmnae

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:16 pm
@FBM,
Yes, I should have provided the context:
'Ah, so's -- here you be! -- Ah, Michael and Joseph and John -- and you too, Leaf! a merry Christmas all! We shall have a rare log-wood fire directly, Reub, to reckon by the toughness of the Job I had in cleaving 'em.' As [William] spoke he threw down an armful of logs which fell in the chimney-corner with a rumble, and looked at them with something of the admiring enmity he would have bestowed on living people who had been very obstinate in holding their own. 'Come in, grandfather James.'

In this story, people are around the fire-place, and thus, William 'was discering' 'the mouth of a miniature cavern' in the fire.
FBM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:23 pm
@dunelmnae,
I think that with a little effort I could imagine a miniature cavern in the dark areas of a fire:

dunelmnae

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
@FBM,
Thank you so much for your help, FBM.
FBM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:43 pm
@dunelmnae,
No prob. ^^
dunelmnae

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:29 am
@FBM,
I'm currently translating Hardy's Under the Greenwood Tree into my language. I truly appreciate your help.
FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:39 am
@dunelmnae,
What is your native language?
dunelmnae

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:16 am
@FBM,
Japanese -- it's so difficult to render Dorset dialect into Japanese!
FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:46 pm
@dunelmnae,
Laughing I can imagine. I once tried doing something like that from English to Korean, but gave up. The nuances are too numerous and too subtle. The reader wouldn't understand without copious footnotes, anyway, and those notes would be longer than the original text. A real quagmire.
0 Replies