No, There Has Not Been a Mass Shooting Every Day This Year

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 06:14 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

On the assumption that a piss ant dictator like Saddam Hussein might be working on weapons of mass destruction we destroyed countries and left that region destabilized, for generations to come, a decision made from fear Americans might die, killing innocent people that will never be counted. But the actual dangers that kill thousands of Americans are a different matter. Our hands are tied by greed and something akin to religious fervor. Disgust is a mild reaction to the state of affairs.

https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29313730_2330856106925354_995407802793369466_n.jpg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeG2V-LV1x8Wz9UAYvmXufCFnYH0t6li0kz1KVj4veTNPno9-QkWmTvtnibm23D7v-HTYpG5wEUYcm4SCN66_E5o8ngLnu26uexIU1Uvs1LoCw&oh=f0bd06b1ed5a76c514019feea2be0519&oe=5B455DFC
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 11:58 am
@Blickers,
It's not. There is a whole lot more being reported, along with this.
Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 01:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The school shootings are being reported on plenty. And wait until you see the coverage on the march on Washington Saturday. Weather is predicted to be sunny, clear and a balmy 48°, so the elements will not be holding down the crowd at all. Better dust off your most disparaging descriptions now-you're going to need them to counterbalance the video of all the kids impressively coming together to try to convince the country to do what should have been done decades ago.
oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 03:14 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Better dust off your most disparaging descriptions now

I've been calling them whiny brats. I believe that is factually accurate.

Blickers wrote:
you're going to need them to counterbalance the video of all the kids impressively coming together

I see no need to counterbalance anything. It's still a free country and they have the right to have a protest if they want to. I'm really not going to pay much attention to them at all. Probably my only exposure to this march will be if it is talked about on a2k and I answer some of those posts.

I guess I'll also hear whatever MacNeil/Lehrer (or whatever they call it these days) has to say about it on PBS.

Blickers wrote:
to try to convince the country to do what should have been done decades ago.

This country should never violate civil rights for no reason, and while these kids are free to try to convince the country to do so, we're not going to do so.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 03:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
http://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29313730_2330856106925354_995407802793369466_n.jpg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeG2V-LV1x8Wz9UAYvmXufCFnYH0t6li0kz1KVj4veTNPno9-QkWmTvtnibm23D7v-HTYpG5wEUYcm4SCN66_E5o8ngLnu26uexIU1Uvs1LoCw&oh=f0bd06b1ed5a76c514019feea2be0519&oe=5B455DFC

The outrage is not because those kids are walking out of school.

The outrage is because those kids are falsely accusing us of causing the shooting when those kids themselves are responsible for tormenting the poor kid until he snapped.

The outrage is because those kids are demanding that our civil rights be violated for no reason other than that they think it would be fun to violate our civil rights.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 04:27 pm
@Blickers,
Dream on.

Of course, these demonstrations will get coverage.

Will they have an effect?

No.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 04:28 pm
@oralloy,
They are kids.

Cut them some slack.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 04:42 pm
a surprise from Kentucky

Quote:
Rep. John Yarmuth

Verified account

@RepJohnYarmuth

I’m so proud of my @NRA rating, I’ll wear it on my chest. I invite my colleagues to join me in wearing our F ratings every day until the GOP finally stands up to the gun lobby and helps us pass common sense gun safety legislation. Find me to get a pin. #MarchForOurLives

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYrmAOXWkAAk50P.jpg

not nearly as much of a surprise from Kentucky

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/politics/kentucky-gop-tweet-suggests-shooting-democrat/index.html

Quote:
Washington (CNN)A Republican candidate for Kentucky secretary of state has apologized after suggesting he'd like to use US Rep. John Yarmuth as target practice.

Carl Nett, whose campaign website says he's a former US Secret Service agent and CIA contractor, replied that Yarmuth should move the pin "over just a bit."

"I was trained center mass," he added, referring to the law enforcement tactic to hit a suspect's vital organs. Nett has since deleted the tweet.
After receiving backlash from Democrats and Republicans in his state, Nett later apologized on Twitter.

"To the extent that anyone, including and most especially Congressman Yarmuth or members of his family, felt sincerely threatened or even offended by today's social media post, I offer my sincere apology to them," he wrote.

The Kentucky Democratic Party Chair Ben Self slammed Nett's comments as "not only alarming but terribly offensive given the numerous shootings including on in Great Mills, Maryland today."

The Louisville GOP condemned Nett's comments and called it "especially disturbing in light of recent attacks on Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA) and our own Senator Rand Paul."

The Scott County GOP wrote on Twitter that it "will not tolerate, in any form, a suggestion or even a hint of violence against anyone" and rescinded its invitation for Nett to speak at an event Tuesday, according to the Louisville Courier Journal.

oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 05:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
They are kids.
Cut them some slack.

My response to them is mostly to just ignore their temper tantrums.

I do think they need to do some self reflection on how they brought the shooting on themselves. I can't imagine being so cruel to someone until he snapped like that.
oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 05:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Rep. John Yarmuth
Verified account
@RepJohnYarmuth

I’m so proud of my @NRA rating, I’ll wear it on my chest. I invite my colleagues to join me in wearing our F ratings every day until the GOP finally stands up to the gun lobby and helps us pass common sense gun safety legislation. Find me to get a pin. #MarchForOurLives

It never fails. Anytime someone supports fascism or opposes civil rights, they always claim reason or common sense.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 08:56 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
My response to them [demonstrating high schoolers] is mostly to just ignore their temper tantrums.

Yes, how dare our young men and women protest after they are forced to dive for cover and watch their companions and teachers murdered because we are the only advanced country in the world where AR-15s are available to any delusional psycho with the money to buy one?
oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 09:16 pm
@Blickers,
I don't know that we are the only advanced country in the world where AR-15s are available.

I do know that the availability of this gun is not the reason for these murders.

I don't mind that these kids protest. As someone who values civil rights, I defend their right to do so.

But I'm certainly not going to pay any attention to their protest, other than listening to whatever coverage MacNeil/Lehrer provides (hopefully it will be brief) and reading whatever people post about it on a2k.

Life's too short to waste time on the tantrums of people who want to blame me because they tormented someone until he snapped, and who want to violate my civil rights for no reason other than their own sadistic joy.
Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 11:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
I don't know that we are the only advanced country in the world where AR-15s are available.

I do know that the availability of this gun is not the reason for these murders.

The AR-15 is not the only modified assault style weapon used in mass murder, and is not the only that should be banned. But take a look at the damage the AR-15 has done.

Oct. 7, 2007: Tyler Peterson, 20, used an AR-15 to kill six and injure one at an apartment in Crandon, Wis., before killing himself.

June 20, 2012: James Eagan Holmes, 24, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber Smith and Wesson rifle with a 100-round magazine, a 12-gauge Remington shotgun and two .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic pistols to kill 12 and injure 58 at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.

Dec. 14, 2012: Adam Lanza, 20, used an AR-15-style rifle, a .223-caliber Bushmaster, to kill 27 people — his mother, 20 students and six teachers — in Newtown, Conn., before killing himself.

June 7, 2013: John Zawahri, 23, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber rifle and a .44-caliber Remington revolver to kill five and injure three at a home in Santa Monica, Calif., before he was killed.

March 19, 2015: Justin Fowler, 24, used an AR-15 to kill one and injure two on a street in Little Water, N.M., before he was killed.

May 31, 2015: Jeffrey Scott Pitts, 36, used an AR-15 and .45-caliber handgun to kill two and injure two at a store in Conyers, Ga., before he was killed.

Oct. 31, 2015: Noah Jacob Harpham, 33, used an AR-15, a .357-caliber revolver and a 9mm semi-automatic pistol to kill three on a street in Colorado Springs, Colo., before he was killed.

Dec. 2, 2015: Syed Rizwyan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, 28 and 27, used two AR-15-style, .223-caliber Remington rifles and two 9 mm handguns to kill 14 and injure 21 at his workplace in San Bernardino, Calif., before they were killed.

June 12, 2016: Omar Mateen, 29, used an AR-15 style rifle (a Sig Sauer MCX), and a 9mm Glock semi-automatic pistol to kill 49 people and injure 50 at an Orlando nightclub before he was killed.

Oct. 1, 2017: Stephen Paddock, 64, used a stockpile of guns including an AR-15 to kill 58 people and injure hundreds at a music festival in Las Vegas before he killed himself.

Nov. 5, 2017: Devin Kelley, 26, used an AR-15 style Ruger rifle to kill at least 26 people at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before he was killed.

And of course, Parkland, Florida.

Isn't that a long enough bloody trail?
oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 11:57 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
The AR-15 is not the only modified assault style weapon used in mass murder, and is not the only that should be banned.

Unless you can come up with a good explanation as to how the AR-15 is deadlier than any other semi-auto/lever/pump rifle that takes detachable magazines, there is no justification for banning it.

Blickers wrote:
But take a look at the damage the AR-15 has done.

Oct. 7, 2007: Tyler Peterson, 20, used an AR-15 to kill six and injure one at an apartment in Crandon, Wis., before killing himself.

June 20, 2012: James Eagan Holmes, 24, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber Smith and Wesson rifle with a 100-round magazine, a 12-gauge Remington shotgun and two .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic pistols to kill 12 and injure 58 at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.

Dec. 14, 2012: Adam Lanza, 20, used an AR-15-style rifle, a .223-caliber Bushmaster, to kill 27 people — his mother, 20 students and six teachers — in Newtown, Conn., before killing himself.

June 7, 2013: John Zawahri, 23, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber rifle and a .44-caliber Remington revolver to kill five and injure three at a home in Santa Monica, Calif., before he was killed.

March 19, 2015: Justin Fowler, 24, used an AR-15 to kill one and injure two on a street in Little Water, N.M., before he was killed.

May 31, 2015: Jeffrey Scott Pitts, 36, used an AR-15 and .45-caliber handgun to kill two and injure two at a store in Conyers, Ga., before he was killed.

Oct. 31, 2015: Noah Jacob Harpham, 33, used an AR-15, a .357-caliber revolver and a 9mm semi-automatic pistol to kill three on a street in Colorado Springs, Colo., before he was killed.

Dec. 2, 2015: Syed Rizwyan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, 28 and 27, used two AR-15-style, .223-caliber Remington rifles and two 9 mm handguns to kill 14 and injure 21 at his workplace in San Bernardino, Calif., before they were killed.

June 12, 2016: Omar Mateen, 29, used an AR-15 style rifle (a Sig Sauer MCX), and a 9mm Glock semi-automatic pistol to kill 49 people and injure 50 at an Orlando nightclub before he was killed.

Oct. 1, 2017: Stephen Paddock, 64, used a stockpile of guns including an AR-15 to kill 58 people and injure hundreds at a music festival in Las Vegas before he killed himself.

Nov. 5, 2017: Devin Kelley, 26, used an AR-15 style Ruger rifle to kill at least 26 people at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before he was killed.

And of course, Parkland, Florida.

Isn't that a long enough bloody trail?

Since nothing about the AR-15 was the cause of any of these murders, there is no bloody trail.
Blickers

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 08:34 pm
@oralloy,
Not true. The AR-15 can get off 2 or 3 shots a second, which is far faster than a conventional rifle, and therefore is able to pile up the bodies more swiftly and efficiently than just a conventional rifle. Therefore, they are the cause of death in the mass killings outlined above.

You keep on talking about aiming, but the military assault rifles the AR-15 is derived from were not built for target shooting. They were built for pointing toward one's foe and unleashing a torrent of lead. The commercial brand is toned down in speed, but it shoots many more shots per second than a normal rifle. There is no legit hunting reason you need to get 30 shots off in 30 seconds.

These rifles need to go-now. The safety of our schoolchildren demands it.
roger

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Now, be fair. The region wasn't all that stable. I'm remembering Iraq's invasion of Kuwait and massing of troops in the Saudi Arabian border.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 08:53 pm
@roger,
There were a few wars, but not the bedlam of a whole region coming apart at the seams, with the US in the thick of it from day one and into the uncharted future, killing and alienating untold numbers I have not yet read a plausible reason for.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 09:18 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Not true. The AR-15 can get off 2 or 3 shots a second, which is far faster than a conventional rifle, and therefore is able to pile up the bodies more swiftly and efficiently than just a conventional rifle. Therefore, they are the cause of death in the mass killings outlined above.

That is incorrect. They fire no faster than any other semi-auto rifle (and not appreciably faster than a pump or lever action). Therefore they are not in any way a factor in these shootings.

Blickers wrote:
You keep on talking about aiming, but the military assault rifles the AR-15 is derived from were not built for target shooting.

This is wrong too. They are built to be highly accurate with aimed shots.

Blickers wrote:
They were built for pointing toward one's foe and unleashing a torrent of lead. The commercial brand is toned down in speed, but it shoots many more shots per second than a normal rifle.

That is incorrect. A semi-auto AR-15 shoots no faster than any other semi-auto rifle.

Blickers wrote:
There is no legit hunting reason you need to get 30 shots off in 30 seconds.

The Second Amendment is about self-defense, not about hunting.

That said, varmint hunters do legitimately use 30 round (and larger) magazines in hunting.

Attempts to ban AR-15s have nothing to do with the number of rounds that someone can fire. The number of rounds that someone can fire is solely a matter of magazine capacity.

Blickers wrote:
These rifles need to go-now.

The lack of any justification for banning them means that they get to stay. In the future the courts will be enforcing the Second Amendment, and laws will only be allowed to restrict gun ownership if the restrictions can be justified with a good reason.

But by exhausting themselves on a pointless fight over a unjustifiable ban, the gun control movement does make it very easy for the NRA to defeat them across the board on every proposal. I encourage the gun control movement to continue self-sabotaging.

I expect that in the future the NRA will erect a statue in honor of the people who insist that the entire gun control fight center around a pointless ban on pistol grips.

Blickers wrote:
The safety of our schoolchildren demands it.

Schoolchildren are not in any more danger from AR-15s than they are from any other rifle that accepts detachable magazines.
Blickers

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:11 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Schoolchildren are not in any more danger from AR-15s than they are from any other rifle that accepts detachable magazines.

So why the presence of the AR-15 at all these mass shootings?
oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:30 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
So why the presence of the AR-15 at all these mass shootings?

It's the gun that the shooter chose to use in those shootings.

It's actually a very popular gun.