No, There Has Not Been a Mass Shooting Every Day This Year

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
What constitutes a "massacre"? Is it when 2 people die or more?
No. It is one of the very few times the Indians beat you.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:28 pm
Sarcasm aside, it's difficult to answer that question. Because, we have had very few mass shootings in Canada. If you look at the top 10 mass killings here, almost half are bombings.
So, I guess I can't give you an intelligent answer. Sorry to disappoint.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 05:15 am
@Ceili,
Ok, I'll do it for you.

A quick search of your government agencies of Statistics Canada and the Canadian version of the US FBI (CSIS) shows that they define mass murder (which in the US is interchangeably used in the legal definitions with "mass shooting" and what is was typically understood to mean before gun control activists sought to redefine the definition themselves two years ago) almost exactly the same way that the US does.

Quote:
"at least three victims, killed in the same location, at the same time"

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/research/shp2007-paraphil12-eng.shtml

This is the same way that the FBI defines it and how the US congress defined it after the Newtown tragedy:

Quote:
According to the FBI, the term “mass murder” has been defined generally as a multiple homicide incident in which four or more victims are murdered, within one event, and in one or more locations in close geographical proximity. Based on this definition, for the purposes of this report, “mass shooting” is defined as a multiple homicide incident in which four or more victims are murdered with firearms, within one event, and in one or more locations in close proximity. Similarly, a “mass public shooting” is defined to mean a multiple homicide incident in which four or more victims are murdered with firearms, within one event, in at least one or more public locations, such as, a workplace, school, restaurant, house of worship, neighborhood, or other public setting.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44126.pdf

It was also defined the same way in PUBLIC LAW 112–265—JAN. 14, 2013

See? Your country defines it the same as the US, and this definition does not preclude gun control. You can call your country more "civilized" because of it's smaller problem with gun violence and all, but it's certainly not because you guys merely define the term differently. Canada shares the definition the US uses almost to the letter and that doesn't stop them from adopting more sensible policies.

The reason why this is important is because having a shared definition for this allows us to better study the phenomenon. And it's clearly a separate phenomenon, murder in general is on the decline while these mass shootings are on the rise (slightly, not nearly as much as conflating them with the multiple homicides suddenly suggests).

Here is a good article illustrating how the redefining of the term has made it meaningless, every news article is just picking a random different definition and running with it:
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/03/mass-shootings-no-ones-sure-how-many.html

This graph illustrates the dramatic disparity that two forum users (these new numbers orders of magnitude larger came from two redditors who decided to just start counting it differently) got the media to start using this last year:

http://i.imgur.com/DHNL8Ac.png

From the article:
Quote:
Different methods of tabulation, as well as different measures of "mass" attacks lead to wildly divergent data. With so much confusion, it can be easy for the public to feel overwhelmed by gun violence and for politicians and interest groups to find data that fit their preferred narrative.

It's important to have useful data to study this problem, Harvard and Stanford have both studied this and concluded that mass shooting (as they more narrowly define it than the silly 300 number) are on the rise, even while murder in general is not. Some of these studies even use the wounded criteria vs the killed criteria while filtering out "identifiably gang- or drug-related" to focus on "indiscriminate killing."

For example here is the Stanford Mass Shootings in America Project data:

http://i.imgur.com/u7lolgw.png

These much more intellectually honest approaches are much more useful to a constructive debate on mass shootings in America. Here is Harvard Study on the subject, establishing that family violence shootings (including up to 4 people) do not seem to be increasing while public mass shootings (the indiscriminate kind that this term traditionally means) are actually on the rise. These are clearly different phenomena that deserve to have their differences studied and no that does not mean anything at all about the separate question of gun control, it just means more accurate data to fuel that debate.

Quote:
Are mass shootings becoming more common in the U.S.?

Most shootings of four or more people are usually in homes and other private settings, and are related to family violence. These do not seem to have been increasing. But mass public shootings have become more common. These shootings, in more public places and often of strangers, have been increasing over the past five years.

How does the U.S. compare with the rest of the world?

I compare us to our peer countries, the other high-income countries. The U.S. is average in terms of non-gun violence and non-gun crime. But we have many more guns, and much weaker gun laws, and thus far more gun deaths (e.g., gun homicides and overall homicides) than other developed nations. Not surprisingly, we also have many more mass shootings per capita.

It's important to measure things accurately, these are all people IN FAVOR OF GUN CONTROL and who are trying to bring some academic rigor to this emotional debate.

I am trying to bring this to this site, but it really seems that other than a few members everyone just wants to take their usual gun control position sides and spout out whatever number they think most supports their position.

This is sad, this is a real problem and measuring it accurately is important to understand this problem better. Hyperbole is not helpful here. All the gun control activists here who just blindly google and quote the biggest numbers they can are engaging in intellectual dishonesty that is a disservice to their cause.

To make good arguments we should seek the most meaningful numbers, not just the biggest number that we can find some internet forum users come up with so that we can bludgeon the other side of the argument with them.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:14 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Is there any logic to killing people?
Yes.

Ceili wrote:

and if they didn't have the tools of mass destruction, it probably wouldn't have happened.
As they say, guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns. If a complete, efficient ban on guns is put in place, people who want to kill will just use knives or bombs. That crime you described could have been pulled off just as easily with knives.
[/quote]

Robert Gentel wrote:

What constitutes a "massacre"? Is it when 2 people die or more?
There isn't a hard and fast definition, but it tends to be used when the number or manner of people killed suggests that the murderer/s wasn't aiming for a specific person or persons, but rather to a group of persons of a certain affiliation or even everyone present. When large numbers of people are killed, say, +5, it will tend to be used regardless of anything else. 2 will not be usually called a massacre.

I think it may be useful to highlight the importance of the differentiation between a "mass shooting" and other crimes.

Imagine you have a normal kid which, by everyone's standards, lives a pretty good, comfortable life, but one day this kid steals his father's gun, shoots his teacher and a bunch of friends on school, and then suicides. Terrible, isn't it? What caused this? Well, obviously the boy had serious psychological problems that went undetected. So we need to do something about the quality of psychological surveying in our society. We need to be able to find people with these kind of seemingly spontaneous problems before its too late. On a wider philosophic level, we also need to find out what in our culture leads people, even psychologically unstable ones, into ever thinking such an action is a good idea.

Now imagine a random thug walks into a bar, shots the bartender, takes the money, and leaves. What happened? Well, a crime. An assault. While the man's particular reasons can be analysed, we largely know what the source of this event is: Poverty and drug addiction driving people into lives of crimes, the existence of a criminal underbelly that facilitates those events, etc. Things society has always struggled with and continues to struggle with.

See how those two events require completely different solutions? It is not useful at all to conflate them.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 01:56 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
As they say, guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns. If a complete, efficient ban on guns is put in place, people who want to kill will just use knives or bombs. That crime you described could have been pulled off just as easily with knives.

I do not want this thread to be about the gun control debate but would like to point out that this argument is demonstrably untrue and that killing people with guns is much easier than doing so with bombs or knives etc and that their prohibition is clearly shown to reduce this specific kind of mass murder.

Quote:
There isn't a hard and fast definition, but it tends to be used when the number or manner of people killed suggests that the murderer/s wasn't aiming for a specific person or persons, but rather to a group of persons of a certain affiliation or even everyone present. When large numbers of people are killed, say, +5, it will tend to be used regardless of anything else. 2 will not be usually called a massacre.

My question was meant to be rhetorical for those who think that wounding more than 1 person in a shooting constitutes "mass". I was asking them if they think that "massacre" should also be used to describe a double homicide because I think they would obviously not think so and then begin to think about whether different words having different meanings doesn't diminish deaths or say anything about the gun control debate one way or the other, it's just a system we have where we use different words and terms to describe different kinds of events.
manored

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I do not want this thread to be about the gun control debate but would like to point out that this argument is demonstrably untrue and that killing people with guns is much easier than doing so with bombs or knives etc and that their prohibition is clearly shown to reduce this specific kind of mass murder.
To be fair, that is correct, my argument is more that banning guns isn't going to solve the problem of that there are people who want to kill others in the first place, nor the psychological/societal problems that cause this violence. I don't want to turn this into a gun control debate either, thought.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 04:55 pm
@manored,
Sure, and I agree that not having guns will not do as much to eliminate homicide as some expect. I think it does however have a strong influence on certain types of homicide, especially mass shootings and suicide.

Anyway, gun debate in another thread. Got to follow my own requests here too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 05:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've been reading along.
What is an example of a massacre? I'd say the mass kidnapping and killing of 43 students in Mexico's state of Guerrero qualifies. I take it also as a mass shooting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Iguala_mass_kidnapping

Why 'massacre'? in part because of the number, in part because of the brutalized state of the bodies, in part - yes, this is an emotional point - because of the horror of it. I didn't read all of the wiki take yet, not sure the body parts found in bags were definitely the students', so that is a supposition.

I've not looked up definitions of 'massacre', this is just my immediate take. The students were targeted for "reason", so it wasn't random. Forty three is a lot of people; I've no idea what a lower baseline number would be for the word 'massacre'. Maybe only one, or, say, four.

Meantime, interesting thread.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
What is an example of a massacre?

Colloquially I'd say most people use it when 5-10 people or more are killed. I've never seen a definition in criminology, that is what they are defining when they refer to "mass murder" (which is another reason why saying two people getting wounded by flying glass in a shooting qualifies, these terms are the technical term for "massacre" in criminology).

Quote:
Why 'massacre'? in part because of the number, in part because of the brutalized state of the bodies, in part - yes, this is an emotional point - because of the horror of it.

While these terms always suffer from varying definitions and while massacre has never had a very clearly defined definition I am confident in saying that the level of brutality in the killings were never a factor. Killing 1000 people very peacefully (say an injection) is still a massacre.

But "mass killing" and "mass shooting" are pretty much the technical terms used to refer to a "massacre" and in many countries it will be used with the same criteria (when more than 3 or 4 people are killed).

In English the standard tends to be a big higher, than say in Brazilian Portuguese.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 10:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I get what you are saying.

I do think everyday people will use massacre because of horror, so that the word is freighted in differing ways.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 10:15 pm
I am thinking massacre may relate to US history.
Sand Creek.
I'll spare you a link from a favorite musician of mine.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 10:46 pm
@ossobuco,
After a fat zero, I'll post it. No one has to listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYSorczUfEE

Someone wracked me on this years ago, forget who.

So it goes.

He was an interesting man.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 03:50 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I see no ambiguity with the meaning of a shooting in this context.

It is when someone gets shot. Whether they die or not makes no difference to the classification, apart from maybe the word fatal being included.

I think the argument revolves around when "mass" should be added.

As far as killings are concerned in such single incidents, the FBI seem to have deemed that four or more deaths warrants the classification of mass killing.

If that is the case, I am mystified as to why four or more people being shot and injured in a single incident should not warrant a classification of mass shooting?

If they have different dynamics and different causes I think it is perfectly reasonable to differentiate.

Especially if being precise about the definition helps assuage any unreasonable fear.

For instance, I am more fearful of random killings or theft or sexual killing than gang or personal ones....just because I'm lucky enough to be able to avoid gang infested neighbourhoods when I'm in the US and I don't know any violent people, so my risk is less in relation to them.

Given that the more people fear being shot in the US, the more they seem to run out and get guns, and I think this is a bad thing, the better I think it is that people understand the problem and can analyse it rationally.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 03:54 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I find it interesting that people quibble over the details of mass shootings in the US. In most civilised countries, it wouldn't matter who the perpetrators were, if they shot 4 or more people, regardless of the situation, injuries or fatalities, it would be a mass shooting.
And what I find most astounding is that, since 911 - that being a marker of sorts, is that the vast majority of victims of gun owner violence are females, usually killed in domestic situations. That this has not been even a ripple of concern in any way shape or form to the vast majority of Americans is sad.

Ceili, the domestic violence horror has, until recently, barely caused a ripple in Australia also...it's an area where I don't think the US is markedly different in its acceptance of such stats.

I'm hoping the current heightened concern in my country leads to some laws that are more protective of women and children.
Below viewing threshold (view)
manored

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:38 am
That's kinda off-topic.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 11:31 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Ceili, the domestic violence horror has, until recently, barely caused a ripple in Australia also...it's an area where I don't think the US is markedly different in its acceptance of such stats.

Though not nearly enough I actually think it's better in the US than in most of the world (including the western world and developed nations).
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 03:53 pm
@Lordyaswas,
On the WWII stat, some quick-and-dirty-figuring. About 15,000 people are murdered each year in the US.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/1tabledatadecoverviewpdf/table_1_crime_in_the_united_states_by_volume_and_rate_per_100000_inhabitants_1993-2012.xls

56% of the murders are by firearm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

The combat deaths of the US in WWII was 292,000.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war

So with murders by firearm at approximately 8,500 yearly, it would take 34 years to accumulate the number of American combat deaths.
parados

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 04:18 pm
@Blickers,
Why not use the FBI stats for all your numbers? It is more than 56% and more than 8,500 yearly.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

Why are you comparing combat deaths to only gun deaths? Are you arguing that the only way soldiers were killed in combat was by guns? It seems to be a meaningless comparison.

Your battle deaths is misleading...
Quote:
U.S.

Battle deaths (including POWs who died in captivity, does not include those who died of disease and accidents) [289] were 292,131: Army 234,874 (including Army Air Forces 52,173); Navy 36,950; Marine Corps 19,733; and Coast Guard 574 (185,924 deaths occurred in the European/Atlantic theater of operations and 106,207 deaths occurred in Asia/Pacific theater of operations)
parados

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 04:47 pm
@parados,
Sorry, I guess I didn't read what you were responding to. Lordasways was talking about total gun deaths since 2001 compared to US deaths in WW2.

The total gun deaths in 2013 was 33,636.
Table 12 on page 32.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf