Way to go Alabama

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:00 am
Fedral wrote:
The problem is Rick, 'Life' sentences do not mean that you will be in prison for the rest of your life. It usually means that you will be in prison for 15 to 35 years (Depending on the state you are convicted in) before you have a good chance of getting paroled. That means that the people put away for 'Life' could be back out on the street in 20 years like the individual in the original article.

When I'm talking about life sentences, I don't mean the 'life sentence' as in 20 years, but as in 'you will never be released again'. For a crime the death penalty would be appropiate for, there should be a 'life sentence' which means you will die in prison (not through the death penalty I mean with that), that you will never be freed again.

Fedral wrote:
Here in the States, this would be considered illegal and a violation of the individuals civil rights. Once the person has served his sentence, he can't be held for that crime further.

TBS is included in the person's sentence. I don't see any violation of individual civil rights.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:12 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Karzak wrote:
LOL, the essence of the death penalty is logic, it is the only method absolutely certain to prevent a murder from murdering again.

What about sentencing someone for life?

Karzak, don't start about 'logic'. I made my point.

No matter the sentence there is the possibility that the murder will kill again, even in prison. If you though logically you would recognize that.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:17 am
You won't get anywhere with that kind of 'logic' Karzak. You are in favor of the death penalties for all murderers in this world I assume?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:54 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

And Craven de Kere, you may find 'Barbaric' childish, but I thought that was the clearest definition there was.

I don't, I think the death penalty is base in nature and unfit for modern legal systems.

My comment about maturity was about those who do support the death penalty and my point was that there are more productive ways of going about it than cheering its use in an attempt to get attention.

Supporting the death penalty only means cheering its employment in what I consider simplistic and immature thinking.

As an analogy, it's like the difference between people who consider war an unfortunate necessity in some cases and those who cheer when it occurs.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:02 am
Quote:
My comment about maturity was about those who do support the death penalty and my point was that there are more productive ways of going about it than cheering its use in an attempt to get attention.

Ehm (...) Embarrassed Sorry. It seems I didn't read your post properly. Sorry.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:24 am
Quote:
When I'm talking about life sentences, I don't mean the 'life sentence' as in 20 years, but as in 'you will never be released again'. For a crime the death penalty would be appropiate for, there should be a 'life sentence' which means you will die in prison (not through the death penalty I mean with that), that you will never be freed again.

Sadly those are rare. Only 1 in 100 murders or so get actual life in prison. The rest get 'Life' for 20 years and are out. I'd rather there be real life sentences and not the death penalty (exept for maybe Ted Bundy-type characters), but the problem is life isnt life. At least with the death penalty we know we finished the job. And once again, what's the purpose of implementing the death penalty? Because that's a pretty detterrant to would-be murderers. 15-30 years isn't. Just look at SIngapore. There's very little crime. God forbid u murder someone there, though we don't need nearly as far as they do.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:59 am
America has the death penalty, though it has high crime rates. The fact Singapore has low crimerates has not only to do with the death penalty; more it seems has it something to do with the huge policeforce, as well as really high sentences for what I would call minor crimes (do you know the fine you get when you ignore a red light? Shocked ), as well as - what I believe - is a different mentality.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 09:09 am
Well the death penalty is hardly used for murder cases in America. And yes in Signapore that have weird laws like you cant chew gum or you pay a fine. But i believe singapore has it right on when they have no tolerance for capital crimes. You dont get a second chance if you make a big mistake, and in a way this is perfectly right. If you show that by comitting a capital offense your going to recieve heavy payment, capital crime would logically go down a bit.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Supporting the death penalty only means cheering its employment in what I consider simplistic and immature thinking.

I consider that simplistic and immature, improving humanity by culling the bad humans is something to cheer about.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
America has the death penalty, though it has high crime rates.

The US does not have high crime rates
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
LINK
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:01 pm
We need a percentage not a number. We have more people htan most crime infested countries, like colombia and some others.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
Quote:
That's 1 in 37 adults living in the United States, the highest incarceration level in the world.

The article did give this information
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:04 pm
And no matter what, 1 out of 37 adults in prison means a lot criminals.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
Yes i guess your right. But now I'd like to see this is comparison to other countries
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:10 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
And no matter what, 1 out of 37 adults in prison means a lot criminals.

Or it means that other places let too many criminals run free, that could explain europes higher crime rates.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:15 pm
Quote:
2000. World
Homicide Rates.

50.14 South Africa
21.40 Russia (1999)
10.00 Lithuania
_9.94 Estonia
_6.22 Latvia
_5.64 U.S.A.
_2.94 Spain
_2.86 Finland
_2.84 Northern Ireland
_2.72 Czech Republic
_2.65 Slovakia
_2.58 New Zealand
_2.50 Romania
_2.31 Turkey (1999)
_2.23 Poland
_2.11 Scotland
_2.04 Hungary
_1.97 Sweden
_1.81 Australia
_1.79 France
_1.76 Canada
_1.61 England & Wales
_1.54 Belgium
_1.50 Greece
_1.48 Ireland (Eire)
_1.42 Netherlands
_1.42 Italy
_1.41 Slovenia
_1.24 Portugal
_1.17 Germany
_1.10 Japan
_1.09 Norway
_1.09 Denmark
_1.06 Malta
_1.01 Austria
_0.96 Switzerland
_0.60 Cyprus
_0.23 Luxembourg

Point is however that homicide rates in the USA are high - while homocide could mean the death penalty. And as you know, this thread is about the death penalty.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
How about muder one person you got 50 years in jail no parole. Muder 2 u got life no parole. Murder more and you get death.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:24 pm
I believe the death penalty is ethically unacceptable.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:25 pm
By the way, the stats above is homicides per 100,000 people in a country.
0 Replies