Moore should ensure one of the networks airs his movie Octob

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 07:17 pm
Centroles wrote:

True, the movie may be slightly misleading, but no more than the political ads that both campaigns officially have put up so far.

I wouldn't call the film "slightly misleading". I think it's misleading to the point of undermining the cause of the liberals who embrace it.

Quote:
Why should Moore's movie be held to a higher standard than either Bush's or Kerry's ads?

Why should "they do it too" justify anything? He's not being held to a higher standard at all. I dennounce Bush's prevarication and that of the others I see as well.

Thomas (another anti-Bush fellow who criticizes Moore) said it best when responding to a similar "they do it too".

Thomas wrote:

I think here's one of our fundamental disagreements, blatham. You somehow seem to suggest that a polemic zealot on the left and a polemic zealot on the right cancel each other out, justifying Mr.Moore's follies on account of balance, if not on account of substance. And that's a logical stand to take when you think the relevant distinction is between the right and the left.

Well, I disagree with your distinction. In my opinion, the relevant distinction is the grown-ups versus the true believers, whatever side they may be on. Given that opinion, I see reasonable people like Gregory Mankiw, John McCain, and Paul Krugman as a collective "us", and I see well-meaning cranks like Michael Moore, Ralf Nader, and Grover Norquist as part of a collective "them". I currently donate substantial amounts of money to the Kerry campaign. But if the race was John McCain against Kucinic, I would support Mr. McCain just as decisively as I now support Kerry. I support Kerry because he seems like a grown-up to me, not because he's a Democrat.

To phrase it differently, when Moore scores a success after Grover Norquist, the score goes from 0:1 to 0:2 against my team, which is why I consider Moore a bad thing on balance. From your point of view, Moore's success turns a 0:1 against your team into a 1:1 par, which is why you consider Moore a good thing on balance.

I think that's the essence of our disagreement.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:44 pm
Lets see if ive got this straight. Moore is a lieing liberal, Rush Limbaugh is a conserative who only tells the truth.
0 Replies

soulshine

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:59 pm
geez you all use alot of big words! by the time i'm finished reading all of the posts my head is spinning! ive read alot of things about mr. bush, past and present and i also saw mr. moores movie and i consider it that. A movie ! I TOOK IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH. and i understand how it would imflame alot of people. i also have seen where it shook some people AWAKE! and convinced them to start at least reading the newspaper. thats good news to me! My own sister did not know who was even running for president. geez!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:12 am
i'm with ya, soulshine.

if it gets some people to pay attention to what's going on around them - and if it gets people interested enough in their own country to vote - i'll consider the film a tremendous success.

the last election was decided by people who didn't vote. if it happens again this year - well, people will get what they deserve. and if i find out someone didn't vote - i'm gonna tell them they have no freakin' right to complain.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
Yes - but the whole damn WORLD gets what they deserve!

"No invasion without representation" shall be my new motto.....

Where's the damn tea?

I wanna throw a party...

Or - should that be: "No hegemony for you, unless I can vote too?"
0 Replies