Moore should ensure one of the networks airs his movie Octob

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:49 am
Moore should do whatever it takes to ensure that atleast one of the big networks (abc, nbc, cbs, fox etc) gets to air the movie on television a few weeks prior to the election.

Moore should do whatever it takes to ensure that when his dvd is released, it is sold for a very low price, close to no profit, maybe for as little as 4.99 or even 1.99 to ensure that a lot of people who haven't seen the movie pick it up as an impulse buy and to essentially force that blockbuster and hollywood are forced to rent the movies for a discounted price, 1.99 or so.

Americans have a notoriously short memory. If Moore can get one of the big networks to air it a few times and heavily advertize it (even if it means selling them the rights to do so for very cheap or even giving away the rights to air the movie to whichever station is willing to air it the most times and advertize it the most prior to the election), then Moore will reach a lot of people with this when he needs to do so the most.

Pass this on, to blogs, Moore websites, wherever.

EDITED:

Original message below...

Today was the first time I saw Farenheit 911

Up till I saw it, I had no interest in seeing the film.

This is because of the huge conservative hype/controversy generated about the movie and about how it has 59 deceits (only now do I realize how broad a term deceit can actually be). The conservative media did a very good job of presenting the movie as one full of lies, the kind of movie that most independents shouldn't bother watching as it's all lies anyways.

I was wrong. The movie was incredible. And no, it doesn't a single half truth or lie in the whole movie.

Unfortunately, I fear too many independents will ignore the movie buying into the hype that it's all just a bunch of lies.

What Moore should do is offer up a 1 million dollar reward to anyone who can point out a single lie or half truth in the whole movie...

Moore should very heavily publize this, it is after all a big if not at the very least a very interesting story.

And it should do wonders to convince people that the movie indeed is worth watching.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,982 • Replies: 64
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:53 am
Centroles, I for one would like to see the reward as well. I need the money (no, I'm not going there, I haven't the time for a Moore argument right now).

But as to your text in bold there is a reason that it can't happen for now. If it is aired on TV it will go out of theaters or somesuch because of a clause in the distribution contract.

I'm not aware of the exact details of the contract but the other day I saw a tid-bit in a newspaper (on a table while driving by the cafe, so I didn't get all the details) about a bootleg being shown on TV in Cuba and that because it was a bootleg it didn't invalidate the contract.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:57 am
I doubt the movie will still be in theaters in October.

So I don't see how showing it on TV starting from the 1st of November would hurt the movie sales, especially if the decision to air it on TV only becomes "official" after the film has already left theaters.

Besides, it seems like Lions Gate Films has a very good relationship with Micheal Moore. So I'm sure they can come to some arrangement.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 05:49 am
More people saw it then you think. And it was in the news all the time and although you think that deterred many independents adn i think it persuaded them to see it. Though that wasnt the case with you eprsonally
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
Re: What Moore should do now to help Kerry some more...
Centroles wrote:

Up till I saw it, I had no interest in seeing the film.

Were that the case, then you'd still not have seen it. Some sort of a basic logic course is in order.

If you liked Farenheit, by the way, you'll probably like the following similar films:

http://www.pzg.biz/vhs10.gif

http://www.pzg.biz/dvd_victory-of-faith.jpg

http://www.pzg.biz/vhs13.gif

http://www.pzg.biz/vhs14.gif
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 07:09 am
Quote:
What Moore should do is offer up a 1 million dollar reward to anyone who can point out a single lie or half truth in the whole movie...

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=112962824&p=yyz96353x
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 01:53 pm
okay, he screwed up a fact, that sucks. I doubt there are many if any others though.
0 Replies

TradingWise

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:07 pm
Centroles wrote:
okay, he screwed up a fact, that sucks. I doubt there are many if any others though.

What do you mean? The whole movie is one big lie. There are a certain number of factual misstatements, but the real foul play is ripping items out of the context and thus twisting the facts.

Airing this on national tv is most unfair in the competition between Bush and Kerry; although I hope Kerry will win.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:39 pm
Centroles wrote:

He didn't screw up a "fact". Embellishing a fact or even placing it in the wrong context is one thing. He willfully contrived to misrepresent a newspaper's reporting, which probably took a bit of effort.

I think the bigger question here is why he would go to such lengths. He has on more than one occasion stated that F/11 is 100% true, so seeing this type of deception might make one wonder.

By the way, I'm sure this is old news, but for those that do not wish to contribute by spending money on a ticket for this *movie*, the transcript is online. You may not get the total ambience, complete with creepy music (as someone else said), but you get the general idea.

Some Iraqis, I hear, are upset that he ignored mentioning the hundreds of thousands of their brethren that died at the hands of the former dictator.

There are plenty of discrepancies to be found, I think. One just has to look for them. I hear it's entertaining, though.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:46 pm
If F 9/11 is shown on network TV sometime in the month of October that would be just great. The truths contained in it could influence enough people to vote for Kerry and give him the edge he needs for victory in this very close election.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:58 pm
doglover wrote:
If F 9/11 is shown on network TV sometime in the month of October that would be just great. The truths contained in it could influence enough people to vote for Kerry and give him the edge he needs for victory in this very close election.

Would you care to state what these truths are? Most of his movies are full of half truths and misconceptions. If he were to come out with a truthful movie he wouldn't make any money.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
Maybe by then Moore can add 40 minutes to the farce and put in the 40 minutes of Kerry not being able to think immediatley after the planes hit.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:07 pm
Perhaps he could add in twenty minutes of people using crappy logic to justify the admin's mistakes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Perhaps he could add in twenty minutes of people using crappy logic to justify the admin's mistakes.

Cycloptichorn
Maybe he can add about an hr of footage and fully explain his lack of truths!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:13 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn
Maybe he can add about an hr of footage and fully explain his lack of truths!

Laughing
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:10 pm
I heard it was set for Showtime in Oct. There are contracts made in advance but maybe they could work it out. Viacom/Showtime is CBS?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
Baldimo - I think they know the misconceptions, but are ignoring your question because they can't justify them.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
Baldimo wrote:
doglover wrote:

Would you care to state what these truths are? Most of his movies are full of half truths and misconceptions. If he were to come out with a truthful movie he wouldn't make any money.

The burden of proof is on you to prove the untruths, baldy.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:15 pm
Harper wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
doglover wrote:

The burden of proof is on you to prove the untruths, baldy.

The burden on proof lies with Moore to be honest in the first place. Why should he be allowed to be dishonest and then have others waste their time proving it? Would you be this nice about someone on the right doing this? I don't think you would. In fact I think you would be calling for some kind of lawsuit against the person and insisting that they serve jail time.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:27 pm
Sorry but if you are gong to make a claim of falsehoods in F911, you have to back them up. PM when you do, ta ta, baldy.
0 Replies