More Muslim Terrorism

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
Yes, a single word. a kurdish word written in arabic. Not so uncommon is it? How many English words get mixed up every day?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:47 pm
The Kurdic languages belongs to the Iranian branch of the Indo-European family of languages, being closest to Persian among other languages.

Arabic is a Semitic language, fairly closely related to, for instance, the Hebrew language and the Aramaic language.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
It was a kurdish word, written in arabic. Just like a french word written in english, or a chinese word written in japanese. Or a japanese word written in german.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
Kurdish, McG, is always written in Arabic.

But it is a totally different language - I'm sure, btw, a translator for Japanese would notice at once, if a German word would appear within a Japanese text.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:57 pm
Oh, c'mon, WH...

You can't argue this one using silly things like facts and logic. I mean, a transalator, doing a sensitive transalation in a criminal/terrorism related case, noticing that something was written in a completely different language? Come on! What do you expect out of people? Competence?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:03 pm
Do me a favor, Walt.

Translate "He's the boss" into German and tell me what that means when I wrote it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
McG

a) both English and German are on the same (here: Germanic) branch of the language tree

But
b) "He is the Chef" would certainly be noticed by e.g. an Arabic translator, to be either a German or a French word in a (partly) English sentence.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:27 pm
But explain to me how that refers to Bruce Springsteen?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
A quick experiment.

"Andres, quien es mi fiútestvér vive acerca de un lago."

Is there anyone who can translate? Can anyone who knows Spanish tell which word is foreign?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
I'm pretty sure it's fiútestvér.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 01:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (AP) -- Two leaders of a mosque in Albany, New York, were arrested on charges stemming from an alleged plot to help a man they thought was a terrorist who wanted to purchase a shoulder-fired missile, federal authorities said Thursday.

The men have ties to a group called Ansar al-Islam, which has been linked to the al Qaeda terror network, according to two federal law enforcement authorities speaking on condition of anonymity.

The two arrests came as FBI, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and other agents executed search warrants at the Masjid As-Salam mosque and two Albany-area homes, officials said. The men were identified as Yassin Aref, 34, the imam of the mosque, and 49-year-old Mohammed Hoosain, one of the mosque's founders.

According to law enforcement officials, the two are being charged with providing material support to terrorism by participating in a conspiracy to help an individual they believed was a terrorist purchase a shoulder-fired missile.

The individual was an undercover government agent and no missile ever changed hands. Aref and Hoosain were allegedly involved in money-laundering aspects of the plot, the officials said.

The investigation has been going on for a year and is not related to the Bush administration's decision earlier this week to raise the terror alert level for certain financial sector buildings in New York and Washington, the officials said.

In Albany, some mosque members gathered early Thursday outside the institution for morning prayers.

More details about the case were expected to be released later Thursday by the Justice Department.

link

Quote:

"Another great plot" is being investigated by the authorities, counter-terrorism minister Lord West warned today.

"There is another great (terrorist) plot building up again and we are monitoring this," he told peers during a debate on new security laws.

Lord West, the former head of the Royal Navy, revealed the existence of the plot as the House of Lords continued debating the Counter Terrorism Bill.

He gave no more details of the threat.

another great plot means muslims are again trying to kill as many of us as possible...or have I got that wrong?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 01:35 pm
@Steve 41oo,
re your second quote:

the BBC report which you copied/pasted continues:

BBC wrote:
Later shadow home secretary Dominic Grieve described Lord West's comments as "reckless in the extreme".

The BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardener said counter-terrorism sources were "slightly baffled" at Lord West's comments.

The first quote is from 2004. The trial was in 2007 (if I'm not mistaken).
0 Replies