More Muslim Terrorism

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
WASHINGTON, D.C. (AP) -- Two leaders of a mosque in Albany, New York, were arrested on charges stemming from an alleged plot to help a man they thought was a terrorist who wanted to purchase a shoulder-fired missile, federal authorities said Thursday.

The men have ties to a group called Ansar al-Islam, which has been linked to the al Qaeda terror network, according to two federal law enforcement authorities speaking on condition of anonymity.

The two arrests came as FBI, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and other agents executed search warrants at the Masjid As-Salam mosque and two Albany-area homes, officials said. The men were identified as Yassin Aref, 34, the imam of the mosque, and 49-year-old Mohammed Hoosain, one of the mosque's founders.

According to law enforcement officials, the two are being charged with providing material support to terrorism by participating in a conspiracy to help an individual they believed was a terrorist purchase a shoulder-fired missile.

The individual was an undercover government agent and no missile ever changed hands. Aref and Hoosain were allegedly involved in money-laundering aspects of the plot, the officials said.

The investigation has been going on for a year and is not related to the Bush administration's decision earlier this week to raise the terror alert level for certain financial sector buildings in New York and Washington, the officials said.

In Albany, some mosque members gathered early Thursday outside the institution for morning prayers.

More details about the case were expected to be released later Thursday by the Justice Department.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,582 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
McGentrix- I'm glad that they caught the SOBs, but I object to the title of your thread. Many terrorists are Muslims, but not all Muslims are terrorists. I think that we need to think in terms of individuals, and not paint with such a broad brush. It is that sort of thinking that makes it so difficult for good folks!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:26 am
Better?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:27 am
Agree with Phoenix.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:30 am
McGentrix- Yeah, that's better. But since you changed the title, no one will know to what I was referring. The original was- (something like) Muslims- A religion of Love and Peace.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:41 am
The history of Christians vs. Muslims extends back to the Early Middle Ages (formerly known as the Dark Ages). Perhaps if we really examine history we can come up with some examples of Christians vs. Christians? The St. Bartholomew Day Massacre is just one example. All those Muslims in North Korea could be a problem.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:48 am
I gotta say I figure placing the issue into an "Us-vs-Them/Rest-of- the-World-Against-The-Muslim-World" box plays right into the hands of the true enemy, which is armed radical fundamentalist Islamofacist thugs. That's exactly the impression on which they depend; their numbers are small compared to the number of adherants to the faith they expropriate and pervert to their own purposes. Granting them that sort of credence merely grants them greater power.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
Quote:
Perhaps if we really examine history we can come up with some examples of Christians vs. Christians?

LW- Didn't even have to think hard about this. What about Northern Ireland?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:00 am
This is not the place for this discussion. Let's keep on target here and realize that it was the IMAM of the mosque that was arrested, not some average schmuck. This is the guy that is looked at as the teacher, the holy guy, the big cheese.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
Ok- So here's the deal. There are Muslim terrorists. Two that were arrested were big cheeses in their houses of worship. We might conclude (correctly or incorrectly) that there may be other Muslim bigwigs in the network of terrorists. So?

Before I go on, I want you all know where I am coming from. We all know that during WWII, America got so bent out of shape, that innocent Japanese-Americans were imprisoned in camps for no other reason than their cultural heritage. Our member, C.I. could tell you a few stories about that, as he is a "graduate" of one of those camps.

I think that we have to be very clear and careful about not generalizing about the motivations of people, based on nothing more than their religion.
0 Replies

chopper1981

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:54 am
I agree with Phoenix. After 25 years of IRA violence and bombing the British do not hate all Catholics, even though the IRA is a Catholic organisation. Generalising over religion/race/nationality is a fairly silly and arrow minded thing to do, it leads to such things as the Holocaust for example. Islam is a peaceful religion by and large, with far less blood on their hands than us Christians! There are some extremists (the term Terrorist is another ridiculous one) in every religion, they do not speak for all.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
I remember when we hated the stinkin' Chinese Commies much the same way we hate the Muslim Terrorists now.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Key evidence against Albany mosque leader Yassin Muhiddin Aref been called into question, with an admission by prosecutors that a note found in an Iraqi terrorist camp may have been mistranslated. Aref has been charged with participating in a plot to buy a shoulder-fired missile to assassinate a Pakistani diplomat. The note, which used as part of Magistrate David Homer's rationale in denying bail for Aref, included a reference to Aref that was originally translated as "commander." FBI translators now say that the reference actually means "brother."

Quote:
Albany Terror Evidence May Be Flawed
Prosecutors Admit Possible Evidence Error in Albany Terror Sting

Source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
I wonder if that will matter?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
McGentrix wrote:
What, the truth? It hardly seems to, these days..

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
Well, at least it shows a kind of sloppy prosecution, when they don't notice the difference between Kurdish and Arabic.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
What, the truth? It hardly seems to, these days..

Cycloptichorn

No, whther a mis-translation of "commander" and "brother".

The truth is that they were willing to funnel money in an effort to purchase a rocket to kill a Pakistani official. Those facts remain, regardless of what becomes of this incident.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:

No, whther a mis-translation of "commander" and "brother".

A mistranslation? Confusing two languages is a mistranslation?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:12 pm
Seems to me that's what the article says. How do you read it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Seems to me that's what the article says. How do you read it?

Quote:
However, FBI translators now have a copy of the original entry and disagree with the earlier conclusion, saying the word was in the Kurdish language, not Arabic, and actually means "brother," prosecutors told the judge in a letter.

Obviously, the translators didn't notice that this word [at least this word, the article says nothing about others] was not in Arabic but in Kurdish.
Which is, in my opinion, not a mistranslation but either a lack of knowledge of languages ... or a sloppyness of work.
0 Replies