Finn dAbuzz

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 03:02 am
@roger,
Just read this after I posted by response to one of his comments...so yes I did Wink

Edit: I just reread your post and I believe you may have thought my response to eh beth referred to this thread. Actually it referred to the 2002 A2K thread that she linked. The one where former Abuzz members we're all finding one another here on A2K. For the first 4 or 5 pages it was all good fellowship with some bemoaning of the rude and obnoxious behavior going on at Abuzz. The last 4 or 5 pages were filled with rude and obnoxious behavior. I assume that over the course of the 30 or so pages in between, more Abuzzers found their way to A2K.

I also noted that you were kind enough to include me in your list of Abuzzers who should be invited to come join A2K. Thank you.

I admit to being surprised that your list didn't provoke any disagreement, but then it was in the first 4 or 5 pages and not the last.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 03:28 am
Well, i last read in this thread at the post on page two where Jessalonika wrote "Woot," until this morning. Having now read up to this point, i'd just like to say what a truly bizarre, and mostly entertaining thread this is now. But bizarre more than anything else.

My only comment on the content is that freedom of speech does not mean that anyone has to listen to you.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 03:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

You could start one of those communities using the rules that you felt were the most conducive to intellectual debate.

Intellectual debate? If only topics "most conducive to intellectual debate" are to be allowed on A2K, how many current A2K members do you think will actually remain on this site? Neutral
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 04:10 am
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:21 am
i'm gonna start a community called A2Haters Gotta Hate Hate Hate

it's gonna focus mainly on philosophy, religion and politics

oh yeah, and polka music
George

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:24 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
. . . oh yeah, and polka music
Fiend!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:37 am
As a newcomer, I think the site is fine, by and large.

But if you are going to change it, one thing I would like to see is, on members pages, a tally of how many times over the past month did they thumb posts up and how many times they thumbed posts down. Just the totals of ups and downs, not the detail of which posts were thumbed.

IMO that would help control serial down-thumbers, who keep following posters just for the pleasure of voting them down, whithout caring to read what they post thumb down. This behavior is spreading, it is adding to the ambiant negativity, and I believe it is contrary top the spirit of the thumbs. I recently posted three verses from Malarmé, only to see them voted down by a couple of morrons. Since when is poetry something to crap upon?
timur

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:48 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I recently posted three verses from Malarmé, only to see them voted down by a couple of morrons. Since when is poetry something to crap upon?

The count of up and down posts looks like a petty revenge.

Let people do whatever they want to do.

Just don't let it affect you.

As for your interpretation of thumbing down poetry, I don't think it's about poetry per se.

It's about the language in which it's written.

I've observed quite often that posts in foreign languages are thumbed down.

Poems in English are quite often thumbed up.
Olivier5

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:58 am
@timur,
I'm not trying to make a big issue out of it and it does not affect me that much. It just reduces my sympathy for the site, to see such pettiness apparently spreading in it.

Another way would be to just cancel the thumbs... Letty is enforcing that policy on her radio, and I respect her effort.

What's the freaking problem with OCCASIONALLY using other languages than English on A2K? Especially for poetry, which as everybody knows cannot really be translated...

As they say in Persian: Yak zabon yak nafar, doo zabon doo nafar... ;-)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 08:16 am
A little more transparency in moderation would be welcome.
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 08:28 am
Sucks, an edited version of a Scharpling & Wurster classic routine, a record producer, and son of the man who penned the hit Disco Sucks, explains his next projects, aimed at keeping his father dream alive

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 10:35 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
As much as I like the idea of "free speech" in a forum, stricter regulations do encourage civility. The problem with such "moderation" is that can be very subjective and, in some forums, censorship tends to include unpopular opinions rather than simply rude and obnoxious behavior. So it's a tough balance to strike. Maybe the Block is the answer.

It isn't. Blocking is just a minor detail really, it's getting a lot of attention because it causes people anxiety about not being able to post somewhere (even just conceptually).

The real answer to this problem (which is really not that the right balance to strike is hard, but that people desire different things) is to decentralize moderation. Right now there is one moderating team and that's that. In the future there will be many and users will have the choice of moderation styles within the community.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what you have in store and if it turns out I can't abide the changes, I'll move on. I went cold turkey for a couple of months recently and found life was still worth living.

Yep, that's ultimately what I pay the most attention to. Cold, hard, engagement metrics.

Quote:
It's your site so do with it as you think best, but it seems like rather than soliciting suggestions you've pretty much made up your mind what you plan on doing. I don't imagine that a loud chorus of "don't add the block feature" will dissuade you from implementing it, any more than the loud choruses of "get rid of the thumbs down feature" persuaded you to do so.

Please don't take this as criticism (well, maybe a gentle jab ).

No, I am not building this site by committee no. Both because the costs are not shared by committee and because that is not the right way to make forward progress on any project like this anyway. Asking people what they want and then building that is a horrible way to go about software design. People often have no idea what they want but have strong opinions about the question they see in front of them, what they actually do is a much more truthful source of feedback and what I pay more attention to.

So I listen to feedback and am interested in getting it (though unfortunately most people do not enjoy this process unless their feedback is immediately adopted) but unless it has an argument that I find convincing I'm going to follow my plan, I've thought about these issues for hundreds of hours and am not going to throw that all away based on a couple of opinions that were hastily considered. The real data is in what people do. Some people here have cried the sky is falling for nearly a decade and how every single change ever proposed will completely ruin the community for them. Yet they are still here, their opinions are just loud noises after thinking about a complex problem for a few seconds.

Quote:
I do appreciate that you've provided this forum for our use. I still can't figure out how you might be making any money on it, so maybe it's a labor of love.

It has lost $500-$1000 a month on average over its lifetime. Another reason why I don't sweat it when people get angry that I don't build it their way. I don't tell them what to do with their time and money so when they do it to me I give it all the consideration that it is due.
oralloy

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 10:58 am

Another proposal: bring back April Fools Day on A2K.

Even if you just repeat a previous years' event, it was a lot of fun when the entire site went haywire for the day.

Not having April Fools Day on A2K is like skipping Christmas.
Robert Gentel

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 11:22 am
@oralloy,
We are hoping to be able to actively develop a2k again, and if so we'll definitely have time to play around on our favorite day of the year.
0 Replies

timur

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 12:11 pm
Olivier wrote:
As they say in Persian: Yak zabon yak nafar, doo zabon doo nafar... ;-)

I assume then that you suffer from DID (Dissociative identity disorder, previously known as multiple personality disorder)..
izzythepush

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 02:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Since when is poetry something to crap upon?

Since the French starting writing it.
Olivier5

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 02:55 pm
@timur,
Quote:
I assume then that you suffer from DID (Dissociative identity disorder, previously known as multiple personality disorder)..

It's more about how each language comes with it's own worldview. Learning a new language is also about changing perspective.
timur

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 03:02 pm
@Olivier5,
I see I should have inserted an irony emoticon..
Olivier5

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 03:04 pm
@timur,
Yep. Whatever you do Robert, don't get rid of the emoticons. 2 Cents
George

Thu 3 Dec, 2015 03:24 pm
And we need a Latin spelling and grammar check.