On this day in history.......

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:02 am
Pick one, or more, of these past events that impacts you and explain why.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/atplay/history.jsp

Several of them apply to me, but I am particularly focused on Anne Frank because of the words: "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 808 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Thok

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:32 am
well, http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=823540#823540

all about this can also discuss in the thread above.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
Wow! Thok. You got a bunch of those history things there. I'll check 'em out later. Why don't you pick one of interest here and elaborate. Then I'll reciprocate. (hmmmm That rhymed) Smile
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:16 am
indeed, that rhymed.

well,all informations and argument in the other thread.

Letty wrote:
You got a bunch of those history

I like history.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:24 am
I love history, Thok. That's why I enjoyed teaching it. My undergraduate degree includes a double major: History and English. Okay then. I'll check it all out later.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:41 am
I agree with your choice of Anne Frank, Letty, but her quote has always bothered me. How on earth could she be so forgiving ? Her youth, perhaps.

I must admit none of the birthdays made any impact on me, except for Shelley, but his quote puzzles me. ``Poetry is the record of the best and happiest moments of the happiest and best minds.''
I always felt the best poetry was written at a time of sorrow.

I'll have to look further into Lizzie Borden's acquittal. You mean to tell me Lizzie actually got away with it, or is it debatable as to whether Lizzie actually committed the murders?

Good Grief. It sound like I'm in an argumentative, debatable, mood, and that is not my intent, believe me. I detest arguments. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
Raggedy, I think Anne Frank left her life with a feeling of contentment and not resentment.

As for Lizzie Borden, yes she was acquitted, and I think, as Setanta observed some time back, it was because the tenor of the times did not include a woman who would kill her parents. If I'm not mistaken, there was no blood anywhere on her person.

I agree, to a degree, about Shelley's quote, but so many English poets also wrote about feelings that looked up to the promise of the rainbow.

"My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky..." Wordsworth.

(that puzzle is really puzzling me, Raggedy. Rolling Eyes )

Now I'm off to check out Thok.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
Aaah, Letty. I had Lizzie mixed up with Ma Barker. I've been doing that quite frequently these days. Mixing up, not axing. (lol)Now you can see why I don't participate in other threads as you've suggested elsewhere.

(Aside: Puzzle: Cued in =QU = W)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:29 pm
Hey, gal. You're as sharp as ever, and don't you forget it.

(I thought that qu represented w, but I'm still struggling)
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
Yep. I'm still smart as a quip. Oops, I mean whip. :wink:
0 Replies