Persians

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:55 am
Which modern, midle eastern country traces its history back to the persians and is very proud of the accomplishments of the ancient persian empire

is it iraq, iran, turkey or saudi arabia?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:09 am
I couldn't say if the modern Persians in Iran are proud of the ancient empire, but it would be the people of that nation who would have such an interest, did it exist.

At it's greatest extent, that empire covered the territory of modern Turkey, Iraq, Syria, the Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt, as well as Iran and portions of what are now Afghanistan and Pakistan. I am rather unconvinced that there were great "accomplishments" by that empire, other than stability and communications, which are shining accomplishments only in comparison to the empires which preceded it, and which the Greco-Macedonian successors seemed unable to maintain. Good roads and a postal service (usually only for government use) were unique until the advnet of the Roman empire.

No one ever seems to have actually conquered and held Arabia. Calling it Saudia Arabia is anachronistic, as that is the name of Arabia as controled by the Ibn Saud dynasty, and only covers the last century of Arabia's history.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:14 am
Having now seen your other threads, i rather regret having answered this one, as it appears that you are simply posting your homework assignments and hoping for answers, as opposed to actually doing the reading yourself to find the answers.

I will answer no more of your questions.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:45 am
I suggest posting this topic in 'Pets and Garden.' For some reason, we seem to have a lot of cat fans here.
0 Replies

lacey ward

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:32 pm
This is part of a competition and we are allowed to use any resources we like including the internet and interviewing people. We have only 1 week to get these answers. I consider that I am doing a type of "inverview" in asking these questions on here
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:57 pm
lacey_ward wrote:
This is part of a competition and we are allowed to use any resources we like including the internet and interviewing people. We have only 1 week to get these answers. I consider that I am doing a type of "inverview" in asking these questions on here

Hi Lacey,

You have a point (the Internet is a resorce that is open to all to be used as they see fit, provoded that the sources are mentioned), but you might have stated that point prior to asking the questions; you would have gotten more straightforward answers. Especially if you would have presented your case as pitting the combined knowledge of the A2K patrons against the resources used by your competitors (e.g. the Encyclopedia Britannica) Smile

I must say though that the questions I have seen are rather simple. What level is this competition you're in?
0 Replies

niki chen

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 07:57 am
Hey Lacy,
I'm doing the Asia-wise geography thingy too. The questions are ridiculously hard.
I reckon this is a great idea, and you're right to say that this technically isn't cheating because we're allowed to use any recources we choose, including the internet and interviews.

FYI, I guessed Iran for q5 but I have no idea if this is correct.

Niki
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:02 am
I have seen the future! And it is homework by proxy Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 12:14 pm
BTW, none of the questions posed by the children as part of this Asia Wise thingy are really all that hard. Most can be answered without even consulting a basic text. Do your own work, and then in twenty years you might have learned something.
0 Replies