Who vs. whom

bermbits

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:17 pm
I had a Honda Shadow, which I sold probably 8 or 9 yrs ago. Last year, I bought a Harley Sportster, so it was weird to hear you say that.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:22 pm
Berm, I have had this kinda feeling about things for a long time. Just wrote a tribute to a woman who is a biker. Her personalized license plate says, I'd rather be riding my Harley. Odd, no?
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:25 pm
There are no coincidences....

(Fade in: Twilight Zone music.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:28 pm
Very Happy Fade to black. Great fun..great memories...good night all.

From Florida.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:28 pm
Night from NH!
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
Just found this topic. Who/whom is a pet peeve of mine. "Whom" is used incorrectly so often (usually, I think, in an attempt to sound erudite) that I think it ought to be abolished from the language! (WHOOOOO [so there!] do I petition to effect this change?)

Then there's the irksome, improper use of "infer" instead of "imply" ...but that's a whole nother topic...I certainly don't mean to INFER :wink: that it should be discussed on this thread!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 02:42 am
Whoa whoa whoa, leave poor "whom" alone... He just wants to be accepted and loved properly.
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Aw, Smog, now you've made me feel bad (bad/badly...nother other issue) about poor Whom. I do love Whom properly, I just hate to see him loved improperly so often! Sad
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:31 am
"Whom" forgives you! Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:36 pm
O, whom is staying. I am taking care of him/her/the chicken, until I die.. without 'whom,' prepositions are automatically stuck on the end: 'who the bell tolls for' rather than 'for whom the bell tolls,' of which I am not a big fan.

I suggest that everyone who speaks English be taught the difference in fifteen seconds, and that those that defy be forced to work in Zankou Chicken as a sort of who/m-misuse purgatory.
0 Replies