Paris attacks caused archbishop to 'doubt' presence of God

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 10:08 am
I've recommended Tapestry several times over the years.

Quote:
Tapestry exists to go deep. We investigate the messy, complicated, and sometimes absurd nature of life, through the lenses of psychology, philosophy, religion and spirituality.

Tapestry is your radio/audio home for all the big questions: Why are we here? What does it mean to live a good life? Will the Leafs make the playoffs in your lifetime?

We mix it up with professionals who think big thoughts for a living - and ordinary people just trying to make sense of the world.

This program is apropos to the topic

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2337852523

it's an hourlong podcast

Quote:
Keeping the Doubt (2012 Encore)
Tapestry

February 22, 2013 Season 2013, Episode 300106935 54:00
We take a look at how doubt and skepticism can be essential ingredients to faith. Mary meets Rabbi Rami Shapiro - a rabbi who says he isn't religious, but rather a curious, holy rascal. She also talks to Michael Shermer, the founder of Skeptic Magazine. He's held his own against Deepak Chopra in a go round on consciousness and quantum physics.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/tapestry/pastepisodes (look them over, lots of interesting discussions)

another current religious doubter recently featured on Tapestry

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/tapestry/letting-it-go-with-gretta-vosper-and-miriam-katin-1.2803212/letting-it-go-with-gretta-vosper-and-miriam-katin-1.3162008

Quote:
Over the years, Gretta Vosper has released her grip on just about everything she had ever learned about God, religion, and her place as a minister. The thing is, she still leads a church. Gretta is the minister at West Hill United Church in Toronto, and the author of the books Amen and With or Without God.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 10:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, he's the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England - some might have a different opinion to yours.

No kidding?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 12:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, Justin Welby said already more than a year ago in public that there are moments when he doubts about existence of God (but he is certain about the existence of Jesus). That didn't minimise the acceptance and/or influence.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 01:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well he must have a different understanding of the nature of Jesus than most Christians.

I have had my doubts about whether or not God exists, but not very often and never because of an atrocity occurring somewhere in the world.

It is a shallow and, frankly, childish concept of God that allows for questioning his existence because babies die or terrorists murder innocents.

And whatever my doubts may derive from I don't think I would be voicing them in public if I was the spiritual leader of a particular religious sect.

The Archbishop wants to be a Christian Humanist. Perhaps his progressive views help keep bottoms in the pews of his churches. I don't know or care.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 01:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The Archbishop wants to be a Christian Humanist. Perhaps his progressive views help keep bottoms in the pews of his churches. I don't know or care.
I wouldn't call e.g. Erasmus, Thomas More, Johann Reuchlin and John Cole progressive. But it's okay, since you don't care.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:13 pm
@neologist,
Than I can only assume you consider arguements to be physical like a punch in the eye. I dont believe you and your wife have never had a disagreement. Sorry.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:15 pm
@layman,
But she bought herself a shotgun.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:23 pm
@RABEL222,
Apparently you misssed my clever reparte
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:40 pm
@neologist,
I didn't.. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Public questioning is a matter of faith in some sects/religions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:55 pm
@ehBeth,
That's fine if it's a tradition of his church, but it would not be mine if I had one.

I find the man consistently insipid, and the reasoning for his "doubt" the sign of someone who has a childlike notion of God as a supreme patriarch.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 02:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
How shallow he is. He needs to show some real depth and send $100 dollars to Mike Huckerbee, because even though he's filthy rich he could still be richer.

Anyone with anything about them has doubts to reconcile. The alternative is Squeakybro with his nonsense.

The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity Yeats.

The IS Teaparty collective are certainly full of the latter.
neologist

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 02:25 pm
@izzythepush,
All believers must deal with events that may cause doubt or shake faith. Those committed to the Bible go to its pages for answers.

But what shall we say to the cleric who comforts the bereaved with the words "god works in mysterious ways", or "they are in a better place" when, in fact, the scriptures they claim to espouse clearly state the true God is not currently running the affairs of the world?

Imagine the consequences that may befall a preacher who states that Satan is the one controlling the affairs of his nation.

Bad Idea?

But, if Satan were not in control of the world governments, how could he have offered them to Jesus in Matthew ch. 4 vs. 9? Note that when Jesus answered him in vs. 10, he did not deny Satan's claim.

That sums up our current state of world affairs.
0 Replies