send them to a bed and breakfast

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 01:55 am
What does this phase "send them to a bed and breakfast"mean? I suppose it may mean send sb to a hotel, but how did it come into being? can anyone explain to me? thanks a lot!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 485 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 04:12 am
A "bed and breakfast" refers to a particular type of accommodation in a private house or a small hotel which provides a bed for the night in a separate room and a morning meal. The type of meal can vary--when i was in Ireland int the 1970s one was given a full "farm breakfast" which was quite a substantial meal. In B and Bs in the United States, you might get only a cup of coffee and a pastry or croissant. B and Bs are less expensive than hotels, and provide only the one meal each day. Some of them require the guest to vacate before noon, one assumes so that the room may be cleaned and the linen changed. That is, of course, a standard policy in ordinary hotels, as well.

Without more context, which is to say the sentence or paragraph in which you read that phrase, it is not possible to give you a better idea of what the author meant.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 04:20 am
I would also note that B and Bs don't have doormen, bellhops, maid service, gift shops, news stands and full service restaurants as hotels usually do, which is why they can afford to offer much cheaper rooms for the night.
0 Replies

avalipeng

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 12:07 am
@Setanta,
I think I got your meaning, and that is exactly this dialogue is about. Thanks a lot!
0 Replies