Why Are Texas Cops Claiming These People Are White?

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 06:13 am

Texas Department of Public Safety now has to keep track of the race of people they pull over to make sure they’re not discriminating against minorities (there were some charges of this in the past). KXAN, a local Texas news station, decided to check their work. Their findings were not encouraging. Cenk Uygur, host of the The Young Turks, breaks it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"A recent investigation revealed that racial profiling data gathered by the Texas Department of Public Safety could not be trusted because some troopers had been labeling minority drivers as white.

KXAN reviewed more than 16 million traffic citation records and found that the ethnicity of the drivers had been incorrectly recorded in a significant number of cases.

The station found that four of the top five last names recorded as white in the state were traditionally Hispanic names: Garcia, Martinez, Rodriguez and Hernandez.

Professor Ranjana Natarajan, who heads the Civil Rights Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law, told KXAN that DPS racial profiling data should be considered unreliable in light of the new findings.”*

Read More: https://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/texas-troopers-caught-skewing-racial-profiling-data-by-labeling-hispanics-and-blacks-as-white/

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 08:00 am
Same reason the press claimed this guy was white?

http://static.deathandtaxesmag.com/uploads/2013/11/george-zimmerman-sued-security.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 02:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Only because he was adopted by these guys after he shot the black kid in cold blood.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia3.washingtonpost.com%2Fwp-srv%2Fphoto%2Fgallery%2F100912%2FGAL-10Sep12-5703%2Fmedia%2FPHO-10Sep12-251192.jpg&f=1
McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 04:27 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Only because he was adopted by these guys after he shot the black kid in cold blood.

You probably actually believe that too. I am so sorry for you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 11:43 am
@McGentrix,
Inconvenient truth is very hard for you to accept, isn't it?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 12:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Inconvenient truth is very hard for you to accept, isn't it?

No, I have already accepted the truth that you are a confused person. You've more then proven that many times. That is why I feel sorry for you. I couldn't imagine going through life as mixed up and mistaken as you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 02:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Whiny personal assault all you got? I find you amusing. Very much like Francis the Talking Mule, only online. Tell me, does your keeper smear peanut butter on your keyboard?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 02:26 pm
I think of hispanics as an ethnic category with people with different heritages fitting in the category. Hispanic is not a race in itself that I know of, as people may be all one or almost all one or the other or another.

I'm so old that when I worked at hospital admissions, in a pretty well know hospital, circa 1960, there was no category for hispanic, and we were told to list people with latino names as white.
That was before the civil rights act and much going on in the way of pride groups, at least in the press. I only worked in admissions that one year, so I don't know exactly when the hospital changed its categories after that.

As comes up in various discussions, the whole question of races actually existing as such gets tossed around, given world populations' tendencies to roam and procreate.

However, I do think people are targeted by their skin colors and it's a dammed shame, a stupid damned shame, so I do get checking for bias.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 02:39 pm
@ossobuco,
That is news to McGentrix. I think of Zimmerman as white.
Below viewing threshold (view)
McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 05:45 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Of course you do, but that's because you're an idiot, not for any real reason.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 07:39 am
@McGentrix,
OK, laughing boy, what color is he???
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Do they still record your race when you go to hospital in the US? Is it something you have to put on forms for government services etc? Here they always ask if you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander - usually an optional question - but I can't think of any situation where I've ever had to write down my race, or the race of my mixed race children. Just curious.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:35 pm
@Pearlylustre,
I don't know, Pearly. I left medical work back in early '80, and haven't, luckily, been in the hospital myself many times since, and the times I have, I don't think I was asked. I may have been asked once in a while on some forms somewhere, like a doctor's office (?) but I think there has been a place to say 'prefer not to answer'.

There are some medical conditions that affect people of different backgrounds, but I would expect them to be found other than by asking heritage questions on an entry paper. Sickle cell anemia is one of those (my niece's mother had that, plus malaria, what a double package of woe, not that malaria hits people of just one race - I mentioned that to show what medical trouble she had). She came to California from west Africa; the sickle cell thing, if I remember, is genetic and in my memory, primarily affected black people. I haven't looked it up lately, so don't trust me.

There are genes that do involve some specific heritage, but I haven't taken genetics since the sixties and forget most of what I had a clue of then, plus they know more now.

So, to answer, I think places like hospitals or social services (?) or birth certificates (?) or maybe universities (? there's a quagmire) may ask some of this stuff but I don't think it's in the heavy handed way it used to be. Not sure.
EhBeth may know, she's pretty expert on various stats and how to find them.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, ehBeth is Canadian. Sometimes she is a font of good information, but I suppose Canada's ways and the US's aren't necessarily alike re forms and asked questions.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 09:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

That is news to McGentrix. I think of Zimmerman as white.

If he is white to you, then what is the point of this thread you started? Wasn't the point that the cops were calling Hispanics white? Or, is it only Hispanics you don't like that are white? Are you a racist?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 08:24 am
@McGentrix,
If I were racist, would I consider a Hispanic adopted by Jewish parents, white?

Don't you think of Hispanics as white?

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.huffingtonpost.com%2F2014-06-09-puertoricandayparade.jpg&f=1

Some Hispanics are white, some are black. But if more black are being shot down in the streets or arrested out of proportion, that information needs collecting exposing.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 08:48 am
i don't think i've ever met a white person, i've seen pictures of the Winter's brothers, they come pretty close

most so called white people i've met seem to be a sort of pinky beige
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 09:21 am
@djjd62,
Some of us pinky beige types used to have little brown dots on our faces.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 09:29 am
@ossobuco,
There's another twist to the race question as people can mean different things. There is or was a political group in the LA area that some belonged to, called La Raza. A friend's sister did. I see by looking it up that it's a large multi national organization now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Raza

The Spanish term La Raza translates as "the Race", Spanish raza having the meaning of "race, ethnicity; breed, strain, lineage". The term expresses ethnic or racial pride, and is used with somewhat different shades of meaning in Spain and in Hispanic America.

Argentine government poster from 1947 including the concept of la Raza.
In Spain, raza denotes specifically Spanish or European Christian (Roman Catholic) heritage. The Francoist film Raza of 1944, which celebrates ideally Spanish national qualities, exemplifies this usage.

In Latin America, la raza may emphasize Native American heritage, or it may express Latino (Hispanic) identity (La Raza being short for La Raza Hispánica). Día de la Raza marks the arrival of Christopher Columbus to America. The National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy group in the United States of America, uses the term.

"La Raza" is a popular song among Mexicans and Mexican-Americans. The Mexican-American rapper Kid Frost recorded and released this song in 1990.

In his 1925 book, La Raza Cósmica (English: The Cosmic Race), Mexican writer José Vasconcelos described la Raza Cosmica as the product of gradual racial mixing that was already underway in the Hispanic world. Vasconcelos believed that eventually all of the people within the former Spanish Empire would be completely mixed into a new race (see also The Race of the Future).