Present participle and past participle

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:24 am
2.Good news was sometimes released prematurely, with the British recapture of the port _________ half a day before the defenders actually surrendered.
[A]to announce [B]announced [C]announcing [D]was announced

I chose C, but B seems worked too, because it can be a past participle.

4.She felt suitably humble just as she _________ when he had first taken a good look at her city self, hair waved and golden, nails red and pointed.
[A]had [B]had had [C]would have and [D]has had

I chose B.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,745 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 05:44 am
I think your answers are correct but they may be too right. By that I mean that English has to sound right when read aloud.

Question 2
B seems to me to be the better answer because it sounds right.

Question 4
B is also correct but only in the most perfect of English usage. (and I actually hate the use of "had had". ) So I would go with A, it's right and it's simpler usage.

Joe

PS
I loved your post about breakfast in the other thread. It is excellent, vivid writing as well as very good English, and much better practice than these multiple choice exercises.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:24 am
2.Good news was sometimes released prematurely, with the British recapture of the port being announced half a day before the defenders actually surrendered.

A to announce
B announced
C announcing
D was announced
E [none of the above]

4.She felt suitably humble, just as she had when he had first taken a good look at her city self, hair waved and golden, nails red and pointed.

A. had ("......just as she had {felt} when.....") [the past participle is of the verb 'feel' (not 'have'), but is left out, and only 'implied' for 'style'!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:26 am
2.Good news was sometimes released prematurely, with the British recapture of the port being announced half a day before the defenders actually surrendered.

A to announce
B announced
C announcing
D was announced
E [none of the above]
Leaving out the past participle of the verb (to be) is, in this case, 'sloppy'!

4.She felt suitably humble, just as she had when he had first taken a good look at her city self; hair, waved and golden; nails, red and pointed.

A. had ("......just as she had {felt} when.....") [the past participle is of the verb 'feel' (not 'have'), but is left out, and only 'implied' for 'style'!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 09:25 pm
Thanks Joe and BoGoWo.

Regardless of it is very accurate or not, the usage of "being announced" catered for my taste. Very Happy
0 Replies