Translation for German idiomatic phrase

nuva

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:59 am
Hi,

first - I am new and glad having found the place. Smile

Then - there is a German expression I wanted to translate into English. For those who might know German: "Sie hat es faustdick hinter den Ohren."

This means she is a clever person, somebody who might come up with ideas and actions you wouldn't expect, sometimes perhaps half illegal or sassy. It is a bit reproving but in fact more acknowledging. Hard to describe.... Wink

Now I searched for translations and found:

"She is a deep me." Never heard that and when I asked a native English speaker he told me he never heard this exact expression. Maybe it should be "She is a deep one."

"She is a sly dog." Might be ok as translation but as I am talking about a beautiful classic lady it seems not appropriate to me.

What would be your recommendation?

Edited to add (cause i got 3 messages from a critical user): I _have_ searched the internet but am not sure about what I found - therefore the question here. And please forgive if my grammar and vocabulary is not perfect - I'm no native English speaker.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
"Sly dogs" are usually masculine. I certainly wouldn't amend the expression to "sly bitch".

As for the other idiom/catch phrase:

She's a deep one.

Still waters run deep.

There's more to that gal than just a pretty face.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:44 am
Welcome Nuva!

Noddy, I like the last one - it seems to be best fitting for a lady.

Nuva, combining my knowlege of German and English, I would suggest to use the pretty face! :-)
0 Replies

nuva

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:45 am
Thanks - reassures me of what I thought. Very Happy
0 Replies