those nationally in power in America?

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:56 pm
The years since 9/11 have not been easy ones for those nationally in power in America. They have been whipsawed by external events whether from far away or as a consequence of complex domestic economic cycles. In every case, the revolution in new information technologies has both assisted them and made their jobs more difficult.

What does "those nationally in power in America" mean here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 722 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:08 pm
@PennyChan,
It is not an established locution, so it is hard to say what the author means. President, Vice President, the members of the Senate and the members of the House of Representatives are the only people elected to national office in the United States. The members of the President's cabinet, the Secretaries of cabinet departments, are nominated by the President, and must be approved by the members of the Senate. No other individuals can be described as "nationally in power." I cannot say if that is what the author means. Do you know who the author is?
PennyChan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:27 pm
@Setanta,
The author is David Rothkopf, the CEO of FP Group.
I think he might mean the national leadership. Thank you so much!
0 Replies