DNC, no war discussion?

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:39 am
Why is it that democrats avoid talking about the war on terrorism? Is it really THAT unimportant. To the American people that is all that matters. They never make mention of fighting terrorism or keeping thier citizens safe, so my question is why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,658 • Replies: 27
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:04 am
Except that they do, so your premise is flawed!
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:10 am
I have a question for you, in your opinion, could the bush administration have taken action on the attacks on 9-11 before they happened, using intel?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:11 am
....in order to prevent them?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:11 am
why is it that the gop never talks about the disposable diaper disaster occuring at US land-fills at an alarming rate, will Kansas become the Huggies depository of nondegradable shitwads of the 21st century?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:15 am
an answer to my question please
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
which democrats are you refering to? or is one democrat the same as any other democrat in the same way as one republican the same as any other republican?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:23 am
dyslexia wrote:
why is it that the gop never talks about the disposable diaper disaster occuring at US land-fills at an alarming rate, will Kansas become the Huggies depository of nondegradable shitwads of the 21st century?

Laughing

(I know this is interrupting and you just meant to add that in there to show how irrelevant her/his question was to start with; but I wonder what we could do stop that if it is true. I know I sure wouldn't want to go back to cloth diapers.)
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:23 am
Smile Hi Dys!

Answer: I don't know. I guess it might have been a good idea to try.
A better idea would be if these friggin guys representing us would acknowledge that some of the actions of the US government in other countries may have served to foster some of the hate now rained down upon us, though. This is not blaming America but the actions of it's government at times. This country has done a lot of sketchy things itself and it's naive of the American people to believe we always have everyone's best interests at heart and are only interested in spreading freedom and democracy. The only way to effectively change a bad thing is to first recognize it as such. We do overthrow democracies and we have set up many horrible and oppressive governments overseas for our own purposes.
Acting in our best interests is wise, but when thousands of people are oppressed or killed to support it, we need to figure out a better way.
So I say fight the war on terrorism with more than our money and our might, and we may be more effective and safer in the long term.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:25 am
carbon
What do you mean they are not in the business of issuing the phony alerts? Sure they talk about it. Listen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:26 am
(Earlier potty training... the disposables are so absorbent and comfortable that kids are being potty trained later and later, in general. Sozlet has friends her age [3.5] who still aren't potty trained.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:55 am
Did you know that the Israel's have found a way to grow produce in semi arid areas by using these disposable diapers. It would seem they retain water far better and longer than soil. Unused ones I hope.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:22 am
Carbon,

You haven't been paying much attention, have you?

John Kerry wrote:

Remember the hours after September 11th, when we came together as one to answer the attack against our homeland. We drew strength when our firefighters ran up the stairs and risked their lives, so that others might live. When rescuers rushed into smoke and fire at the Pentagon. When the men and women of Flight 93 sacrificed themselves to save our nation's Capitol. When flags were hanging from front porches all across America, and strangers became friends. It was the worst day we have ever seen, but it brought out the best in all of us.

I am proud that after September 11th all our people rallied to President Bush's call for unity to meet the danger. There were no Democrats. There were no Republicans. There were only Americans. How we wish it had stayed that way.

Now I know there are those who criticize me for seeing complexities -- and I do -- because some issues just aren't all that simple. Saying there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq doesn't make it so. Saying we can fight a war on the cheap doesn't make it so. And proclaiming mission accomplished, certainly doesn't make it so.

As president, I will ask hard questions and demand hard evidence. I will immediately reform the intelligence system, so policy is guided by facts, and facts are never distorted by politics. And as president, I will bring back this nation's time-honored tradition: The United States of America never goes to war because we want to, we only go to war because we have to.

I know what kids go through when they are carrying an M-16 in a dangerous place and they can't tell friend from foe. I know what they go through when they're out on patrol at night and they don't know what's coming around the next bend. I know what it's like to write letters home telling your family that everything's all right when you're not sure that's true.

As president, I will wage this war with the lessons I learned in war. Before you go to battle, you have to be able to look a parent in the eye and truthfully say: "I tried everything possible to avoid sending your son or daughter into harm's way. But we had no choice. We had to protect the American people, fundamental American values from a threat that was real and imminent." So lesson one, this is the only justification for going to war.

And on my first day in office, I will send a message to every man and woman in our armed forces: You will never be asked to fight a war without a plan to win the peace.

I know what we have to do in Iraq. We need a president who has the credibility to bring our allies to our side and share the burden, reduce the cost to American taxpayers, and reduce the risk to American soldiers. That's the right way to get the job done and bring our troops home.

Here is the reality: That won't happen until we have a president who restores America's respect and leadership -- so we don't have to go it alone in the world.

And we need to rebuild our alliances, so we can get the terrorists before they get us.

I defended this country as a young man and I will defend it as president. Let there be no mistake: I will never hesitate to use force when it is required. Any attack will be met with a swift and certain response. I will never give any nation or international institution a veto over our national security. And I will build a stronger American military.

We will add 40,000 active duty troops -- not in Iraq, but to strengthen American forces that are now overstretched, overextended and under pressure. We will double our special forces to conduct antiterrorist operations. We will provide our troops with the newest weapons and technology to save their lives -- and win the battle. And we will end the backdoor draft of National Guard and reservists.

To all who serve in our armed forces today, I say, help is on the way.

As president, I will fight a smarter, more effective war on terror. We will deploy every tool in our arsenal: our economic as well as our military might; our principles as well as our firepower.

In these dangerous days there is a right way and a wrong way to be strong. Strength is more than tough words. After decades of experience in national security, I know the reach of our power and I know the power of our ideals.

We need to make America once again a beacon in the world. We need to be looked up to and not just feared.

We need to lead a global effort against nuclear proliferation -- to keep the most dangerous weapons in the world out of the most dangerous hands in the world.

We need a strong military and we need to lead strong alliances. And then, with confidence and determination, we will be able to tell the terrorists: You will lose and we will win. The future doesn't belong to fear; it belongs to freedom.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:27 am
My point is simple. Why criticize Bush for not doing something to prevent the 9-11 attacks, and in the same breath criticize him for moving in on Iraq in search of weapons of mass destruction. He is doing nothing more than trying to prevent another catastrophe and save American lives. Afterall, the Iraqi's aren't the ones voting for him.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
nor are the majority of americans.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
Carbon
It is apparent that you have fallen for the republican line. Hook, line, and sinker. The picture is so muddled and with the lies coming from this administration being as thick as flies around a garbage pit. I do not think anyone can discern the real reason behind the invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
Carbon, your point is simply idiotic.

Iraq and 9-11 have nothing to do with each other.

Iraq didn't have any part in the 9/11 attack. Al Qaeda and Saddam's government were adversaries. The 9-11 attacks used airplains and box cutters not chemical, biological or nuclear weapons. And there were not WMD's in Iraq anyway.

Attacking Iraq did not save American lives. Zero Americans were killed in Iraq before 9/11.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:39 am
Carbon,

By any chance are you Dick Cheney in real life?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:40 am
Yes, but the thing is, he is preventing an american massacre. You would be singing a very different tune if Iraq had launched an attack on us and we hadn't gone in to search. Bleeding heart liberals always want what they think is 'best for everybody', but the thing is, they're just selfish and want to be elected, just like every other politician.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
dyslexia wrote:
nor are the majority of americans.

well it's a good thing the president is elected by the electoral college and not popular vote then, our country will hopefully be safe for another term. To be honest I don't like Democrats or Republicans, but I absolutely hate the liberal point of view. I think all politics is total crap and people waste their time thinking about it. In essence your vote does not count and your voice will not be heard. A good argument will not turn a conservative to a liberal or vise versa.

I'm moving to Canada. Laughing
0 Replies