Does "fluctuations at some scales" refer to "fluctuations at some amplitudes"?

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 10:26 pm
Or refer to "fluctuations at some scopes/space"?

Context:

Axis of evil
The dim afterglow of the Big Bang, known as the cosmic microwave background (CMB), is virtually uniform in all directions. From one point to another, its temperature varies by less than one part in 100,000. Cosmologists expected these tiny temperature differences to be distributed at random, but in 2003, when NASA’s Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite surveyed the CMB and mapped the fluctuations at different scales, some unexpected patterns emerged. A mysterious cold spot lurked in the southern sky; fluctuations between large areas of the sky were even smaller than expected; and fluctuations at some scales seemed to align along a preferred direction, forming what has been dubbed an ‘axis of evil’.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/zombie-physics-6-baffling-results-that-just-won-t-die/#OMG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 302 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:34 am
@oristarA,
Good q Ori, and I'd immediately guess "amplitudes." However we have some participants far smarter at that sort of thing than your Prototypical Simpleton (me) and so hope to hear from 'em
oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:24 pm
@dalehileman,
Your reply is inspirational.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:56 pm
@oristarA,
Thanks Ori but not conclusive
0 Replies