Be true to your teeth, or they will be false to you

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:49 am
I admit I shamelessly stole the title from a quote from Walter Hinteler.

Anyway, considering that a lot of people, despite years of training in school, scolding by dentists and hygienists, the prospect of expensive dental work and out-and-out fear of teeth being pulled and/or root canal, still don't brush well or effectively. Hence, a product comes out every now and then which purports to solve the problem. See: http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/01/14/toothbrushes.studied.reut/index.html

That's a study done on the Braun Oral-B power toothbrush with rotational/oscillation action, comparing it with other power toothbrushes and manual brushing. Like most medical studies, it's inconclusive. Essentially, you do better with this brush if you're not that skilled at brushing your teeth. But if you have average tooth-brushing skills, you should be able to get as good results, or better, than all types of brushes, including this power toothbrush.

Neither my dentist nor my hygienist has recommended this brush. In fact, they never recommend power toothbrushes - they just hand me a Reach(TM), a rubber-tipped instrument and some toothpaste samples as I leave, and remind me to always use a soft-bristle brush.

Has your dentist and/or hygienist recommended this brush? Have you ever used it? How did you like it? Were your dental cleanings easier or shorter than before you started using it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,483 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:54 am
My dentist recommend this type of brush. Hardly worth mentioning, but he also sells it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:58 am
Mine recommended the Sonicare, which I've been using for years. Now when when when I go to his office for a cleaning and check-up, I get much better marks. No more ominous warnings of what will happen if I don't get my act together.

Now, if I only took care of the rest of my body as well, I'd be in great shape...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:34 am
Well, my quote and a German toothbrush, so I really have to join.

I'm always wondering, why these 'power toothbrushes' still are sold relatively much: here, in Germany, children at the kindergarten learn how to brush. They repeat this at school - obviously, humans get lazy and/or forget when starting teenager age.
0 Replies

dable

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 12:10 pm
Wife and I just started using the Braun. I like it and feel like I'm getting a better brush. Teeth feel cleaner.

I surmise that if I spent a little more time with a manual tooth brush I would get the same results.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 12:11 pm
Good Teeth= brushing; nutrition; genetics. Surprised
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 02:16 pm
My husband has not had a cavity, or other dental problems since he was eighteen. Before that, he had the usual childhood cavities.

At that time, he made up his mind that he would prevent problems by brushing his teeth....very carefully. He uses a hard brush, and brushes for a longer time that I have seen anybody brush. I used to think that he was going overboard, but he has had practically no dental bills since I know him, which is 37 years!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:17 pm
My dentist sold me one of these brushes. I didn't think it was getting my teeth as clean, but my gums seemed to do better. I compromise by using the power brush in the morning and the manual one at night.

My brother has perfect teeth. Didn't need braces, has never had a cavity. He once went eight years without going to a dentist. Still had no problems!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 04:07 pm
Ah, thanks for the info, all.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:53 am
Phoenix:

I try to brush my teeth about 5-6 times/day. Also use mouth wash to kill the bacteria. Cool
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:13 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My husband has not had a cavity, or other dental problems since he was eighteen. Before that, he had the usual childhood cavities.

At that time, he made up his mind that he would prevent problems by brushing his teeth....very carefully. He uses a hard brush, and brushes for a longer time that I have seen anybody brush. I used to think that he was going overboard, but he has had practically no dental bills since I know him, which is 37 years!

The skinny is when the gums recede as they inevitably will, and he gets longer in the tooth as they say, the exposed part of the tooth does not have the same enamel protection.
A hard brush will grind away the softer bone faster than a soft one.
Especially if a horizontal brushing stroke is used.
0 Replies