Exploitation or out of the mouths of babes?

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040728/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_kids_for_kerry
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 949 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:43 am
I might have considered this exploitation, but i have read about Miss Wexler elsewhere quite a while ago, and heard a story about her on NPR. I believe she is sincere, and was not put up to this by her parents. I imagine they do support Kerry and have therefore encouraged her, but i don't see any evidence that this is cynical exploitation.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
I don't think it's exploitation. I think she's a smart kid who will do very well in life...with or without John Kerry. I am still voting for Bush! And proud of it...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
How is it exploitation?

I did something very similar when I was that age. (NOT speaking at a national convention of course, but starting a kid's political group.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
Well, it could be exploitation because kids who are bright and eager to be recognized can be exploited to political advantage.

Think of advertising. Bet if we did a survey on remembering products, the ones with kids as reps would probably be the best remembered.

(soz, I'm not surprised at your having been a child star. Smile )

Well, Setanta made a good case for it being "out of the mouth of babes."
0 Replies