Help with grammar and speaking skills

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:54 pm
I have a really bad grammar and communication skills. I really want to improve it so when i come out from college I'll be able to find a job. I'm really worry that I can't find a job because of my bad grammar.

Any suggestions? Should i take some classes outside of school? What can i do daily to improve?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:18 am
Lily, welcome to A2K. You're in college now? Are you talking about misuse of the English language? Give us a few more details, please.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:23 am
"The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White has tons of good grammar tips, although there are lots of grammar books out there that can be of some assistance.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:53 am
One thing you can do to improve your speaking skills is to take an acting workshop. Some places may offer it for free so look for adult education or classes with the local artistic college.
0 Replies

Lily0207

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:54 am
Thanks for the reply Smile. This is my 4th year in college. I came to the US 13 years ago. I wish i pay more attention to grammar when i was in middle school Crying or Very sad

I have problem with using new vocabulary. People usually don't understand what was i trying to tell them and its not because my accents.
My communication skill is still in high school level.
I need to improve it to business level. Since my major is international business.

I have problem on writing skills. I'm very confuse about using past tense and present tense.

I took some grammar classes in school and it helps a little but after the class I give it all back to the professor.

If I can sharpen all this areas I think i can get a better job when i come out from college.
Any suggestion will help.
Thank you all for reading Laughing .
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:01 am
Ah, what you may need is (don't laugh) to learn another foreign language. What I mean is, here in the US, we don't often go through conjugations and full grammatical instruction because the language is so odd. But when you are learning French or German, etc., we do, because those languages have clearer subject to predicate agreements.

Take the verb, to walk. In English, there are 2 present tense forms, walk and walks. Walk is used for every single pronoun except for the third person singular (he, she or it). Contrast this with the French word marcher. It's conjugated as
je marche (I walk)
tu marches (you walk; this is the singular, familiar form)
il marche (he walks)
nous marchons (we walk)
vouz marchez (you walk; this is the plural or formal form)
ils marchent (they walk)

Most of the forms are different in French so that it's easier to figure out which form goes with which pronoun. Same thing with tenses.

Here, we have present tense (I walk), past tense (I walked), past perfect (I have walked), pluperfect (I had walked), future tense (I will walk) and future perfect (I will have walked).

Actually, hang on, here's a site that might help you: http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/index.asp
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:11 am
What is your native language, Lily?
0 Replies

Lily0207

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:17 am
Chinese
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:25 am
Lily, I can tell you one thing. I would have more difficulty learning your language than you would have learning mine. Very Happy

Jespah has given you some great links, but I find the best way to approach learning English is to listen to those who speak it, try to get the sense of it, then practice it by reading aloud from a simple book. If you hear it right, then you can say it right. Later, you can learn the structure and the semantics, etc.

Writing will be the last step, I think. Good luck, my friend.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
jespah wrote:
Here, we have present tense (I walk), past tense (I walked), past perfect (I have walked), pluperfect (I had walked), future tense (I will walk) and future perfect (I will have walked).

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but French has just as many verb forms, if not more.
0 Replies