Future President?

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:50 am
They should have nominated Obama in place of Kerry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
Thanks for the thumbnail bio and the link, Joe . . . i was an admirer of Simon before i met him personally, and when i did meet him personally, i began to notice that i saw him frequently. He actually lived among his constituency when the Senate was not in session, and he was "a regular guy" who was treated as such. Not only could most Senators not move that comfortably and quietly among their constituents, i doubt they would want to. I'm glad to know that Obama got that endorsement. The last time i saw Simon was from across the street at the wedding of his daughter (1988?) in Carbondale--an acquaintance lived in the house opposite the Catholic church. (Note: it must have been '88, because the Secret Service was very much in evidence.) Since i left SIU and Illinios altogether more than 15 years ago, i've not kept myself that well informed about Illinois politics. The only thing about King James I which impressed me was the ruthless speed and efficiency with which he dismembered the state civil service system and gutted the power of the unions. Sharks should be so successfully predatory.

I do think Obama does have a much better prospect of getting a presidential nod than has any other American of African descent. If the persona he projects is sincere, i'd vote for him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/040729/streeter.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 07:21 pm
Quote:
Wanted: A Sucker for a Senate Race
The GOP is looking for a poor sap to run against rising Dem superstar Barack Obama
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:37 am
No one is going to beat Obama; trust me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 10:40 pm
smog wrote:
No one is going to beat Obama; trust me.

Not three months before the election they won't, but that's hardly an indication of invulnerability.

All indications are he is a very intelligent and very articulate man, (I have to fight the urge to call him a "young man," but he is 42 after all), but it greatly helps a candidate's chance of winning when his opponent withdraws four months before the election.

That he is already being hyped for a presidential bid, might be ridiculous if the Democratic Vice Presidential candidate were not someone who hasn't even finished his first term of the first governmental position (elected or appointed) he's held.

He gives a great speech, but can he govern? Who the hell knows?

I enjoyed his speech for both its eloquence and its substance. I also enjoyed it because it's theme of One America clashed so sharply with Edwards' theme of Two Americas.

Out of curiosity, why is a man born of a black African and a white American, so consistently referred to as black? But then he is more black than a quadroon or an octoroon, so I guess he has to be called black.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 11:36 pm
Fin
Since bush was elected the the bar for ability to govern has been lowered almost to the floor. Judgeing by his government it takes very little ability to govern.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:38 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Out of curiosity, why is a man born of a black African and a white American, so consistently referred to as black? But then he is more black than a quadroon or an octoroon, so I guess he has to be called black.

Because generally in our society, if you have black in you, and you look black, it doesn't matter how much of any other race may be in you. Your black. Period.

But thats a topic for another thread... please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
but it greatly helps a candidate's chance of winning when his opponent withdraws four months before the election.

He was already far ahead before anything happened with Ryan.

Quote:
I enjoyed his speech for both its eloquence and its substance. I also enjoyed it because it's theme of One America clashed so sharply with Edwards' theme of Two Americas.

This has come up a few times, beyond the soundbite level they aren't contrasting at all. Both of them were directed at Bush's divisiveness. Obama's "United States of America" part came right after this:

Quote:
Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes.

Meanwhile, Edwards was saying that Bush's policies have divided America and he wants to change that. They were both about unity, about doing away with divisiveness.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:27 am
hi all. I've been away in the boondocks and missed any and all coverage of the dem convention. I'd begun hearing wonderful things about Obama a year ago and I'm very pleased to see this hopeful information validated. A 'black' president (though I recognize the distance from here to there) will be a social leap of immense significance, as will a female in that post.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:55 am
Blatham
I agree! A woman or a black president would be an indication that we as a nation were verging on sanity. That we are voting on the person rather than the picture of a person that spinmasters present. It does disturb me that so many women refuse to consider a female just because they are female.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 03:29 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Blatham
I agree! A woman or a black president would be an indication that we as a nation were verging on sanity. That we are voting on the person rather than the picture of a person that spinmasters present. It does disturb me that so many women refuse to consider a female just because they are female.

I would love to vote for a black or female or ever a balck femal president. That is why I nominate Dr. Rice to run in 2008 against Clinton for the seat of president.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 04:35 pm
There will be someone along to second that nomination at any moment, I'm certain.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 04:55 pm
Baldimo wrote:

I would love to vote for a black or female or ever a balck femal president. That is why I nominate Dr. Rice to run in 2008 against Clinton for the seat of president.

Whoa. What a campaign THAT would be.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:15 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Because generally in our society, if you have black in you, and you look black, it doesn't matter how much of any other race may be in you. Your black. Period.

But thats a topic for another thread... please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

I can't wait for that other thread, I'm curious now.

The sentence I have placed in bold, do you find this to be objectionable or matter of fact?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 07:44 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Blatham

Yes, it is so insane to vote for white men! When will we stop the madness?

As we all know, when a woman or black runs for president there won't be any spinmeisters working their evil spells. Women and black candidates for president would never have political handlers telling them what to say and what not to say. Such candidates will never lie to us, they'll never say one thing and do another, and, by God, they'll

Never be cross or cruel
Never give us castor oil or gruel
Love us as a son and daughter
And never smell of barley water

Good heavens, one of these parties needs to run Mary Poppins as a candidate!

In all likelihood, the first black person elected president will be a Republican, just as the first black US Senator elected by popular vote, Edward Brooke, was a Republican, the first Hispanic to be elected to the US Senate, Octaviano Larrazolo, was a Republican, the first Asian-American elected to the US Senate, Hiram L. Fong, was a Republican, and the first woman to be elected to the US Senate in her own right (no husband or father preceding her), Paula Hawkins, was a Republican.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:06 pm
Sigh.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:07 pm
Then again, the first elected black Governor was a Democrat ... what about the first elected black member of the House, does anyone know?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
nimh wrote:
Then again, the first elected black Governor was a Democrat ... what about the first elected black member of the House, does anyone know?

The first woman to be elected to the US House of Representatives, Jeannette Rankin, was a Republican.

The first black to be elected to the US House of Representatives, Joseph Rainey, was a Republican.

Joseph Wilder the first black to be elected to the position of state Governor (VA) was a Democrat.

Ellas Grasso, the first woman to be elected the position of state Governor (CT), in her own right, was a Democrat.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 09:18 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
... and the first woman to be elected to the US Senate in her own right (no husband or father preceding her), Paula Hawkins, was a Republican.

Margaret Chase Smith (R-Maine) was elected to the senate in her own right in 1948. She had previously served in the House of Representatives, initially filling the vacancy left by the death of her husband in 1940. At the time of her election to the senate, then, her husband (who had never served in the senate) had been dead for eight years.

Nancy Kassebaum (R-Kan.) was elected in her own right to the senate in 1978. Her father, Alf Landon, was governor of Kansas from 1932 to 1936. He never served in the senate.

Paula Hawkins, therefore, was the third woman to be elected to the senate in her own right.
0 Replies