Future President?

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:09 pm
Mr. Obama, 42 years old, a candidate for U.S. Senator from Illinois, gave the key note address at the Democratic Convention on Tuesday night. I think I just heard the voice of a future President of the United States...I hope not too far in the future.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,407 • Replies: 51
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:11 pm
I was very impressed.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:15 pm
He has certainly established himself as a rising star in the party.

The Republicans in Illinois cannot find anyone to run against him for the Senate seat.

I would like nothing more than to see your prediction come true.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:56 pm
I thought the same thing, Willow. He's been big news in Illinois for a while (I just moved from there), and I've really been impressed with him. Expected him to do great with his speech, he did.

I was watching Jesse Jackson positively glowing with pride (rightfully), and thinking of Jesse's failed bid(s) for prez, and thinking that Obama may really have what it takes. I read so many local stories about him (Obama) going and talking to the white rural types and totally winning them over. "He listens." "He cares."

Anyway, that's down the line, but he's only 42 and he has a bright future.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:37 pm
I was impressed with his elegance and content...striving to unite us...i can only say he gave me goose bumps and hope for our democratic future.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:41 pm
I thought the same thing while watching his speech, and as a person who has stayed somewhat current with his political career, I would be more than thrilled to one day call Obama my president.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 02:12 am
Punahou grad; that makes him a local boy! Hawaii is proud of Barry Obama.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:01 am
Edwards-Obama 2012
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:59 am
Harper wrote:
Edwards-Obama 2012

Obama-Edwards 2012 Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:07 am
Clinton-Obama?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:13 am
Obama-Clinton.

Now THAT'S a ticket! Sign me up. I'm ready to volunteer.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:40 am
All the righties here seemed to love him too. Until he runs for president, anyway! Then the bashing will begin.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:43 am
That's usually the way it goes.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
Obama has been the first candidate in Illinois politics that I've been truly impressed with since Paul Simon (no, not the diminutive singer-songwriter, the other Paul Simon). Obama for president in 2012!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:08 am
You know, i was once walking up old Route 51 from Cedar Creek road. A car pulled over, with Paul Simon and his wife inside, and he asked me where i was going. I told him i was headed up to Arnold's Market. He said he was headed into Carbondale, and invited me to hop in. As we drove north, he asked me where i was from originally. I told him that i had been raised by my grandparents in a small town, and he inquired after them. When i told him my grandfather's name, he asked if he were not a democratic precinct committeeman in his county. I told him that was true. We got to Arnold's market, and he let me out and wished me a good day.

I got that ride in 1987. My grandfather died in 1961, and had not been active in the Democratic party since 1959. Yet Paul Simon remembered the name, remembered the man, even though it had been hundreds of miles away, and decades earlier. Apart from adherence to the same political party, the two would have had nothing political in common. That was one of the most amazing examples a politicians ability to "connect to the people" that i have ever seen. It was a Sunday afternoon, his wife was dressed casually, as was he--although, of course, he was wearing a pressed oxford shirt and a hand-knotted bow tie.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:42 pm
Obama-Clinton....could that be Hillary? hmmmmm
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:49 pm
Neat story, Set!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 11:17 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Neat story, Set!

Agreed! I read it aloud to people. They enjoyed it as well.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:45 am
Setanta: I agree, it's a terrific story, and one that I'm sure has counterparts among many other people in this state. Regrettably, Simon died several weeks before the Illinois primary, but his daughter filmed a TV commercial saying that her father had endorsed Obama for the senate. Many people say that this ad really clinched the election for Obama.
    Obama, a Columbia University graduate and the first black president of the Harvard Law Review, has strong backing in Southern Illinois. Former Sen. Paul Simon planned to endorse Obama, but he was not able to get his message public before his death Dec. 9. Carbondale Councilwoman Sheila Simon carried out her father's intentions in television commercials and by campaigning. Obama credited the endorsements of Sheila and Paul Simon for helping him secure a victory in the March primary and "essentially validated me in the eyes of so many people."

Story here
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
He sounds like a good man.

Personally, I think an intelligent, well spoken, decent, hardworking, scandal-free black president will show that this country is finally starting to move forward socially. Talk about a role model for the black community!
(I also think the same about a woman president)
0 Replies