Need your opinion on this site involving writing skills

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 06:09 pm
It is a well-known fact that some sites on the Internet used to exaggerate their contents to attract attentions as more as possible. Following a not-so-good even bad example might profoundly blight a learner's progress. Since A2K has so many mavens who are good at English language, I ask you help judge the site ( http://www.myschoolonline.com/site/0,1876,5813-211855-4-76517,00.html ). Please tell me your opinion whether what the site introduces is excellent or not. I'd like to learn fastidiously what it introduces if the site is genuinely excellent.

Of course, you could recommend some similar site that is best in your mind.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:20 pm
The opening paragraph for this website:

Quote:
Welcome to RxWrite, a place that helps you improve your writing and thinking skills. Click on the lesson that has been prescribed for you. Read the information in the lesson, and then do the practice, according to your teacher's instructions.

Native English speakers would say "assigned" rather than "prescribed" and "exercise" instead of "practice".

I have no suggestions about a better site, but this one is flawed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:23 pm
I agree that the sentence is strangely worded, but I think that the word "prescribed" is being used to go along with the theme RxWrite as in a medical prescription. Very Happy I couldn't quite figure out who was doing the prescribing... apparently you need to use that in conjunction with a teacher. That site comes from SchoolOnline, which is highly regarded, but it also seems set up for younger students.

I wonder, Oristar, if this site from the Capital Community College Foundation, because it is geared for older students, might not be more helpful for you. It has some interesting quizzes and tests, similar to grammar questions you have brought to a2k. If you look at its "Trophy Cabinet" you will see that I am not alone in recommending it.

No one site will probably give you everything you need. Here's another website, specially designed to improve writing for engineers and scientists.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:15 am
I inclined to what Piffka said -- prescribe is a match of RxWrite.

I've realized it might be hard for you to determine whether the big site is excellent or not without spending enough time to check it out.
So please just tell me if the Harvard Outline is genuine or not.

Quote:
Harvard Outline byRxWrite
Organize Your Essay with an Outline
How to Write a Harvard Outline

The classic outline form is known as the Harvard outline. Below is an example:

History of the Vietnam War

I. Vietnam as part of French Indochina
A. 19TH Century imperialism
i. Berlin conference, 1890
a. Africa
b. Chinese concessions
c. Southeast Asia
2. Restored French national pride after German defeat
3. Built up the French business classes after Napoleon III
B. Tin and rubber industries
C. Revolutionary insurgencies emerge after 1900
D. Ho Chi Minh and other French-educated Marxists

II. Ho Chi Minh and the Vietminh Coalition
A.
B.
III. World War II and Japanese Occupation

IV. Vietnamese Declaration of Independence

Rules for Constructing a Harvard Outline

* Use phrases, not complete sentences
* Where you have a I, you have to have a II; where you have an A, you have to have a B
* You don't need sub ideas

Title

I. Main idea
A. Sub Idea
B. Sub Idea
i. Sub idea of this sub idea B
a. sub idea of sub idea i
b. sub idea of sub idea ii
c. sub idea of sub idea iii
ii. Sub idea for sub idea B

II. Main idea

III. Main idea
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:03 pm
Oristar--

That is a perfectly acceptable outline (taught in every American elementary school without the "Harvard" name).

I do quibble with using a small "i" instead of a "1" for the first of the "sub-ideas".

This is another piece of evidence reinforcing my notion that the owner/creator of the site uses English as a Second Language.

I'm a picky, picky person.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:59 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

This is another piece of evidence reinforcing my notion that the owner/creator of the site uses English as a Second Language.

I'm a picky, picky person.

If so, the site is not worth to be digged into with hard work. Very Happy

Who can put up with the one who touts the material of elementary school as of Harvard -- one of the most distinguished university in the world?

===========================================
I didn't get why arabic digitals work in the outline.
Why did I get confused by it?
See:

Quote:
Title

I. Main idea
A. Sub Idea
B. Sub Idea
i. Sub idea of this sub idea B
a. sub idea of sub idea i
b. sub idea of sub idea ii
c. sub idea of sub idea iii
ii. Sub idea for sub idea B

II. Main idea

III. Main idea

Absolutely clear and simplest. I think the creator of the site refers to the so-called "Harvard Outline". But he gave us an example that I suspected flawed.

Since the example was begun with Roman numeral "I" to bring out its first main idea, so Arabic digitals could only be used in sub ideas. But there were "2" and "3", no "1" there.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:27 am
I thought I'd made a reply here a couple of weeks ago, but I've been having lots of trouble with my computer and didn't get it posted correctly. (I changed by ISP, lost contact for several days with no end of trouble... and now my new wireless mouse is erratic. Unrelated, I know, but still. Grrrrrrrr)

So anyway, Oristar, if you have access to Microsoft WORD, it has a great outlining system. You should check it out, if you haven't done so. It is a little goosey (hard to control & flighty) but once you get used to it, quite nice. As to an outlining system being "Harvard" or not... <shrug>... outlining is typically not taught with that name, here in the states. I've looked around though, and the kind of outlining I learned in school is considered "Harvard" style. I've found a website that explains the three kinds of outlining: Diamond, Harvard, and Legal... here.

I also believe it is best to tab in for each level of in an outline. Unfortunately, a2k, which is in all other respects perfect Very Happy Wink , doesn't allow tabbing, so I can't show that to you. Anyway, increasing the margin indent with each level is very helpful. It is also good to add an extra line between the major headings. My recollection is you start with a Roman Numeral -- Main headings are I, II, III, IV, V.
The next level down are upper-case Alpha --A, B, C, D, E.
The following level is an arabic numeral -- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Then fourth level is a lower-case Alpha -- a, b, c, d, e.
If you need to go to a fifth level, it would be an arabic numeral followed by a right parens -- 1), 2), 3), 4), 5) (all the previous levels should have ended with a period, as in: I., II., A., etc.)
If you have an outline which needs a sixth level (ugh -- way too complicated!) you'd go to a lower-case Roman numeral -- i), ii), iii), iv).

Somebody, somewhere, should be sure and mention that no outline should have a single sub-heading... ie. don't have an "a." unless you have a "b.".

You are exactly right that if you have a "2." and a "3.) you must have a "1."!! Good eye, O.

Outlines are very handy in describing information in a report. They are also handy as "working outlines" while writing, since they'll help you to see where you're missing information, or not leveling things properly. Other than that, they are a pain in the patoot.
0 Replies