WBYeats

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:07 pm
We can use home without the, but if we consider campus as a thing of this kind, can we omit the?

-I shall return back to __ campus with just enough time to get some food.

One example I can think of is the fixed phrase on campus, without the, but I don't know any other example that can be used to support the omission of the.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 529 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 12:33 pm
Well, there's "off campus," as in "She preferred to live off campus for the privacy it afforded her." This is another case where i question why there would be a blank there at all. Leave the blank blank, and you have a coherent sentence.

Other than the two examples of on campus and off campus, i agree that one woul most likely see campus preceded by the definite article.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 12:45 pm
"Back" is superfluous. I'd say "return to campus" if i'd recenly left it. I gather Setanta woud ut a the in there. That's okay too. Therer's uaually not just one way to say something.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 10:56 pm
Excellent answers. Thank you.
McTag

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 03:45 am
@WBYeats,

Off piste, off message, it's quite a common construct.
WBYeats

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 05:22 am
@McTag,
Um...what do you mean by 'it'?
McTag

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 12:20 pm
@WBYeats,

This subject which we are discussing.
WBYeats

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:00 am
@McTag,
We are discussing the lack of 'the' before 'campus'; do you mean you disagree with Setanta and you think that 'return to __ campus' without 'the' is a common construct in UK English?
Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:04 am
@WBYeats,
You don't seem to be paying attention. I certainly did not say "the" is required to make the original sentence coherent. In fact, i said just the opposite. I said that the blank was superfluous and that the sentence was fine as written.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 06:50 am
Thank you.
0 Replies