two basic english questions.

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
1. if someone is taller than me, can i say "you are so tall, i have to look up to you?"
that doesn't sound right though.

2. if i want to know someone's eyeglasses', like the optic degrees? or something like that, how do i ask that?

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
Re: two basic english questions.
youngman wrote:
1. if someone is taller than me, can i say "you are so tall, i have to look up to you?"
that doesn't sound right though.

To avoid the connotation of admire in look up to, I recomend that you use look up at.

Quote:
2. if i want to know someone's eyeglasses', like the optic degrees? or something like that, how do i ask that?

I don't know if there is a specific term but I'd inquire about the strength of the lens. Someone who uses glasses might be able to answer thsi better than can I.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
1. It looks correct to me.

2. I'm not entirely certain of this one. I have not heard a specific term for measuring the quality of one's vision. I would ask "what kind of vision do you have?" and then supply an example of what I mean such as: "Mine is 20/20".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
youngman,

I looked it up, and lens strength is measured in diopters.

for example, a +2.00D lens.

But if you ask someone, "how strong are your glasses" is more colloquial.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
hi, thanks for all the replies.

I asked the first question, because it seems to me that "look up" usually means "someone is better than you, so you look up to him as a role model." so it has double meanings?

2. some people wear really thick glasses. is it common for people asking others' eyeglasses, since it seems that most of you don't even know how to ask that question?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:00 pm
youngman wrote:
2. some people wear really thick glasses. is it common for people asking others' eyeglasses, since it seems that most of you don't even know how to ask that question?

I've heard people ask about the "convexity" of glasses before. Another common term used is "prescription." And, as a glasses-wearer, I have been asked questions regarding the strength of my glasses before, yes.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
youngman wrote:
hi, thanks for all the replies.

I asked the first question, because it seems to me that "look up" usually means "someone is better than you, so you look up to him as a role model." so it has double meanings?

Mutliple meanings, yes.

To avoid that possible interpretation you could say "I have to look up to see you".

youngman wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I saw someone wearing thick glasses and I pointed that fact out by asking what strength their glasses were, I'd be concerned the question might be considered rude.
0 Replies