IS PROSTITUTION WRONG?

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 10:13 am
yes, true.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:07 am
It depends. I lean toward the 'consenting adults'; HOWEVER- in some contexts it is unhealthy- pimps/forced labor/drug dependence etc. Properly regulated, to keep the pros from being beaten up, work against their will and to minimize STD's, I have no real objections.

What is the difference between legal X-rated films and illegal prostitution? In both cases, someone is being paid to perform a sexual act. They should either both be legal or both be illegal.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:57 am
It's a moral issue to me, not really a legal one.
I sure wouldn't want my daughter to become a Prostitute. It isn't just a job, there's much more involved. I find it hard to belive that Prostitutes have any self respect. I don't think they value their body or their mind.
The reason someone turns to Prostitution is my biggest concern as far as the Prostitute goes.
Then, there's the other side of it, the John.
First, why does anyone need to pay for it, if they can get it for free?
I have a problem with married people who cheat on their spouse, so I'm going to have a problem with marriage and Prostitution in any shape or form.
Then of course, there's the Pimp. I'd have to fault the Prostitute for being lead into the role that they're put in by the Pimp.
No one can take advantage of someone, unless they allow themselves to be taken advantage of.
It becomes a criminal concern when the underage are taken advantage of.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:31 am
I have avoided this thread, because I have conflicting opinions, and can't vote in the poll.

For purposes of clearing the issue in my confused head, I would say I am addressing 'clean' prostitution--no underage kids, no pimps, but an adult man or woman who wants to make money by performing sex acts.

I do think it is immoral, but I am addressing it from a logical view and checking my personal morals at the door.

Logic says legalize. Require health regs and inspections like OSHA.

I also think prostitution could specialize to Sexual Therapy. What about the old geezers, who crave physical love, but need 'help' and understanding.

I wish it wasn't an issue. I do believe it demoralizes and demeans both parties. What it must do to the psyche of the prostitute... I wish someone would do a study of the personal lives of prostitutes after ten years in the business...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:43 am
lash - well put post.

Now, in the past few years I have, through circumstances beyond my control, come in contact with a fair number of -- stock brokers. In many ways, I feel that their profession, though it has brought most of them wealth far out of scale with the difficulty of the work they do, has demoralized and demeaned them. There is the win-at-any-costs attitude prevalent in the business, the constant stress involved not only managing other people's money but also maintaining a certain lifestyl that is inherent in the business... Well, I haven't met one who I think derives any joy at all from their work. In short, I would want my daughter to become a stock broker. (wink -- but I really wouldn't...)

Which is not to equate prostitution with brokering -- but there are plenty of enterprises which many of us consider unsavory in one way or another, and the subsist because they don't cause anybody outside of the transaction any harm.

(It's a very weak and stretched comparison, to be sure, but it took a lot of effort to type in this early in the morning, so I'm going to let it stand.)
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
PATIODOG--Great analogy, and bravura performance on the keyboard at this hour.

If only we could regulate those dirty stockbrokers...
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 10:00 am
I can't help but be reminded of an old Barney Miller episode, in which the guys are booking a prostitute.

The moral crusader Wojohowitz (try that) is downgrading the prostitute for sleeping with men for money, as Barney's wife shows up for some cash....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:16 am
Quote:
If only we could regulate those dirty stockbrokers...

You joke, but there are some very serious regulation problems in the industry. For instance, any complaint registered against a broker has to be put on their license, whether substantiated or not. There is no due process whatsoever. The gf's mother (a broker, but currently striking out on her own as a financial advisor after years with major brokerage houses) won an arbitration suit (pretty much all contracts consign any complaints to arbitration rather than litigation) but was not awarded her legal costs and all of the complaints that were discounted in the hearings are still on her record.

Brokers actually have little or no defense against spurious allegations from their clients, even if those allegations are coerced and/or fraudulent...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:16 am
Ah, Barney Miller. I'd watch that if it the reruns ever came on during my veg hours...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:18 am
Plainly speaking:

Prostitution is WRONG because it exploits women!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:23 am
dlk, I know exactly where you're coming from, but we must remember that many countries in this world are having great difficulty to feed themselves. Many turn to prostitution out of necessity - unfortunately. It's a choice between eating or starving. I think morality is fine when there are better choices, but without them, I'm not ready to criticize them for wanting to eat or put shelter over their heads. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 03:07 pm
New Haven,

Any job is an exploitation.

e.g. Construction work exploits men and women.

Please clarify.
0 Replies